Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting question >

Batting question

Batting question

Old 07-22-2011, 10:10 AM

Which is thicker: Blend? 70/30, Cotton 100%. Wool

Which is thicker and which do you prefer?

Thanks for responses.

Pat
Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 AM

I use a traditional weight blend most of the time unless I'm doing something where they want all cotton.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

by thickness I am assuming you mean loft. I have noticed no difference in loft between 80/20 blend and 100% cotton, unless you are talking the old fasioned type cotton batting that needs to be quilted like every 2". But for the most commonly available 100% cottons like Warm and Natural the loft difference is negligable if there is any at all. Wool has gorgeous medium loft and adds a lot of definition to your quilting.

Cotton and blend tend to be heavier weight wise than wool.

Preference? Well that all depends on the ultimate use of the quilt. Is it a wall hanging, an everyday quilt, a special occasion quilt? Is it going to be hand quilted or machine quilted? Do I want a heavier weight on me for bed quilt or lighter weight? There are all kinds of different battings because there are all kinds of different types of quilts they could ultimately be used in.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 AM

They come in several thicknesses and weights. You have to check the labels/tags, and judge for yourself. I use 1/4 inch thick of whatever is on sale to make my Quiilts for Kids charity crib quilts. I like cotton or the blends. Don't use wool. I use polyester, too, for the NICU quilts - they are small, will only be used for short periods of time so they won't be keepsakes 100 years from now, and sometimes, if I have no coupons and nothing is on sale, my purse dictates that I use the least expensive batting available at the time, which is most often the poly. Sorry, I guess this wasn't much help.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Sorry, I didn't say for what use. It would be for Quilts for the bed. Thanks
Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

you can find many different lofts in all the different batts- there are poly batts that are an inch thick!
there are cotton batts ranging from very flat (1/8") up to about 3/8"
there's dream wool! a dream to work with fairly lofty- soft wonderful- lightweight
there's dream orient which is a bamboo/silk blend---luscious! (but expensive)
i love wool batts- but reserve them for special large quilts- dream poly is a very nice batt for more -utility type quilts (the ones you use all the time- take places- let the kids have picnics & build forts with)
the cotton batts have a large variety-some with scrim- some without-
i use many different batts- each quilt is individual- when it is time to quilt it i decide which batt will be best for it-
i love all of the batts from the dream company-
there is also a dream green batt- which is like fleece- very nice to stitch- and fairly lofty---only down side- it's light green- so you wouldn't want to use it with a quilt that is alot of white (i would guess)
i used it when it first came out a few years ago just to see what it was like- can't think of a thing wrong with it- and the quilt has held up just fine so far- been through washer/dryer many times...no issues
i recommend- reading the packaging- it will tell you the loft- and how close you have to quilt- that ranges as greatly as the number of batts- some have to be quilted every 2" (which is quite dense) others you can have 10" between quilting lines- and everything in between