Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting Question

Could you please tell me how to remove the creases that are caused by the folding of batting. I will be ready to use it soon and would like to know what everyone does to help make it smooth. I have not used basting spray so thought I would give it a try.

i am going to watch this. I would think ironing it would work but might shrink it. which is not a bad thing exactly. But I am too afraid to try it.

I press it gently. PRESS, not iron. on a lower setting than I use for cotton. I find that the warm and natural that I get from the bold at Joann's flattens out pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    I press it gently. PRESS, not iron. on a lower setting than I use for cotton. I find that the warm and natural that I get from the bold at Joann's flattens out pretty well.
    I have done that as well... I put a layer of fabric,,,and then press over that,,,, just my 2cents,,,lol

Unfold it and stick it in the dryer for a few minutes.

Thank you. I will try the pressing with a cloth on top. We don't have a JoAnne's here so had to work with Walmart and got their Poly-fil Quilters 80/20. It looks kind of like the warm and natural. Haven't tried it before. Is it good?

I use the Walmart Poly-fil a lot and have never had a problem with it even after the quilt has been washed and dried many times.

I've found that if I put a damp wash cloth and the batting in the dryer on VERY low heat setting for about 5 minutes the wrinkles are gone.

Blog Entries
    For the warm & natural I spritz it with water and put it in the dryer for a few minutes. Much easier than ironing, especially for a larger quilt.

Blog Entries
    I have steamed poly with my iron (not touching it with the sole plate) and it fluffs up and the folds disappear.

The clothes dryer works great for me.

Blog Entries
    I will follow this thread, thanks!

Blog Entries
    usually all you have to do is remove the batting from the package and shake it out...and let it breath for awhile...i drape mine over the couch or a chair...or toss it on the bed for a bit usually while i'm loading the quilt, the creases are gone by the time i am ready for the batting. the creases relax. if they were very stubborn (i've never had this problem) putting it into the dryer for a few minutes will more than likely work well. i'd be very careful trying to iron it...seems like that would be much more of a pain than worth the trouble, plus the chance of stretching it out of shape is very likely.

I wouldn't iron it, it "crushes" the loft. Putting it in the dryer works well. I've also been told to take it out of the package 24 hours before I'm ready to use it. It relaxes over time.

Thanks for the hints every one! Had always pressed my batting which was a pain, especially when dealing with the king size.

Blog Entries
    Good morning.
    I always ignored the creases and they went away. Now I know they 'relaxed'. I'm lovin it!

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Unfold it and stick it in the dryer for a few minutes.
    This is what I do and it works great.