Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting Seam Tape ? >

Batting Seam Tape ?

Batting Seam Tape ?

Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 AM

I asked this question a few months ago because I also wanted to use the product but was leery. I'm happy to say I bought it, ironed it on and it held together beautifully in my latest quilt. I washed the quilt just to make sure before I gift it to my niece.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:36 AM

I have not used the Batting Seam Tape. However, recently I ran into a situation where my batting was too narrow for the top and backing and I had to add a couple of inches to the side. A previous thread on this site mentioned using thin iron-on interfacing and that is what I did. I used 1-1/2 inch strips on each side of the batting and is has not caused any problems with my machine quilting the quilt. It is what I had on hand. The Batting Seam Tape I am sure is more expensive that the iron-on interfacing.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 AM
dd

I use it on poly batting all the time and just love it. I buy it at Joanns when they have it 50% off. So much easier than cutting the strips, which I have done too. It's still soft and you really don't even know its there. I put a pressing cloth or scrap fabric over the tape so it doesn't melt the batting. The poly batting will compress when ironed but it will pop back up with washed.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:12 AM

Love it! I have used it consistently for about 5 years and it works well. No problems with "unstickinig" or pulling away. I have used is on larger quilts with the same good results. I just follow the directions on the package and wal-la, ta-da and whoopie it works.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM

I discussed using batting seam tape with my LAQ, her advice was to zigzag the edges together, then use tape. She has had batting pull apart on the frame when only the tape is used.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:27 PM

I've used it on both cotton and poly with good results, but now I have some wool batting that I need to enlarge. Has anyone used it on wool?
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM

I've used it on cotton/poly many times and not problem with "poly melt". Tricot fusible works well too and is cheaper. I have not experienced any stretch to the seamed batting once ironed on. Haven't used it on wool--have to piece some wool pieces for next baby quilt I'm doing and plan to just whip stitch them together though.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

I think cutting my own batting tape is missing the point. I want the convenience of the tape ready made.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Love it! I have used it consistently for about 5 years and it works well. No problems with "unstickinig" or pulling away. I have used is on larger quilts with the same good results. I just follow the directions on the package and wal-la, ta-da and whoopie it works.
Well that is a good track record if you have used it 5 yrs. I am applying the tape to the batting now. I did see one video that said to apply on Both sides of the batting for added stability, but the instructions say only one side. Thank you for your input.