Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting size just a tiny bit skimpy :( What would you do?

Batting size just a tiny bit skimpy :( What would you do?

Iím about to load a quilt on my Longarm. My quilt top is 89 x 96. I have a queen sized Hobbs batting that measures 91 x 114, a bit bigger than the pkg states, 90 x 108. Iím torn with the decision to try and load it without adding a few inches to the width as it would result in the join being just inside the edge of the quilt edge vs. trying to go with the size and very carefully manage the batting through the quilting process adding batting to the edge only if I run out on one side or the other or both. What to do??

As as I write this, Iím thinking I should just add a piece to the side before loading, so I donít have to worry about it. What say the pros out there? .
    Thanks
    Kathy

Blog Entries
    that is exactly what I would do add what is needed before loading

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    or you could cut the bat further in, insert your additional bat, that way you won't have the seam so near the edge.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    or you could cut the bat further in, insert your additional bat, that way you won't have the seam so near the edge.
    Yes, I thought of that too. That would be the better option. However, I’ll have to see how ambitious I’m feeling when I tackle it again tomorrow. . Thank you for the suggestion! And thank you newbee3 for your comment too!

You will have greater success by adding a strip of batting further into the quilt. By adding such a small amount on the outside edge will show in the finished quilt-especially if the amount needed is only an inch or two. The joining, whether you do it with iron on interfacing strip or by zig-zag stitches will be more stable further into the quilt.

As long as your quilt is nice and square, I think you can get away with it only being 2" wider than your top. You will have to make sure you load the batting straight as well as the top so it doesn't skew as you advance the quilt. I have done it and didn't run into any issues.

Every time I try to fudge something it turns into a regret. Please post what you did and how it turned out. Good luck!
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    Every time I try to fudge something it turns into a regret.
    So true! I've spliced batting together near the edge without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    This was my first thought. Using the iron on tape to join the two pieces is so easy and I have found to be very effective. A little extra time now will surely make you final effort easier.

I just use a large zig zag stitch to add batting to batting. Works for me.

I think you have enough if you load it with the 89" on the rollers. 1 inch extra on the sides should be enough. It will be close but doable. It will make you keep the sides really straight.

Add to the sides, rather be safe than sorry.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

By chance when you square the quilt up after quilting it, do you plan on cutting off maybe an inch all the way around it. If so, you probably will have enough.

The results...

So, this is how it turned out... When I went to load the quilt, the batting was a tiny bit bigger than what it originally measured out at. I had already added a piece down one side as you can see so loaded it with skimpy margins on both sides. Iíve travelled the length of the quilt now, ditching it so I can take it off if I donít get it completely quilted before I need the machine before Christmas projects are ready. I left the extra strip on, attached with iron on Pellon on the backside, just in case. I donít need it for the quilt, but it has provided a place to test my tension. Iíll include a couple pics of what Iím quilting on it. Thanks for all of your responses!!!

having upload issues... pics will follow
    Last edited by Kwiltr; 09-18-2018 at 01:05 PM.

So here are the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images