Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 PM

I use a Fairfield quilt batt that is 80/20. Believe it or not it is sold at my Walmart. Use to be sold at Joann's and Hancock's fabric stores. It has a minimal amount of shrinkage. It drapes nice and is warm. Walmart has Warm and Natural also. If your Walmart has fabric.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by tmjennings
I guess I am tooooo thrifty. I only make charity quilts and most batting is very expensive to give away. What do you use when this is the problem?
A layer of crafting felt would work. Just make sure to pre-wash it as it tends to shrink more than most fabrics. Also, google "Quilt batting, cheap" and see what you come up with. You might be surprised!
Old 09-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by tmjennings
I guess I am tooooo thrifty. I only make charity quilts and most batting is very expensive to give away. What do you use when this is the problem?
Oh, I just checked eBay. There's a ton of batting there, some of it incredibly cheap. Check it out! Also, put a notice on line on Craig's list under "Want to Buy", looking for batting. I'll bet there are people who are willing to sell at a low cost batting they have sitting around and not are not using, especially if they know it's going for Charity Quilts.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM

i have always and love warm and white or natural, i have started to wash it in the tub and dry in the dryer because i dont like the crinkle look in most of my quilts,i buy it from joanns , but i did notice Walmart has it i looked at it because it was cheaper but i did notice walmarts was thinner than what i bought at Joanns
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Moz

I noticed this About W& N too. I bought a roll and did a double check on the label to make sure it wasn't a different type than the one I'd used in the past but it was all the same specs. I got mine through Checker's wholesalers.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 PM

Alikat you are not next to the woolit is inside the quilt....

I used to not like wool but love it now and I work with a lot of wool now.

We all change and maybe you will be the same.... it is wonderfull. Very light and nice and warmand needles great to quilt.