Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: batting

Wanted to know what batting do you use? I've been using batting that I get from walmart but it doesn't make my quilts feel cushiony or warm. Any suggestions?? Thanks

http://www.battylady.com/
    http://www.batt-mart.com/

I also order Hobbs Heirloom by the case from Hancocks of Paducah.

Quilter's Dream batting is excellent and makes a really soft, drapable quilt. Hobbs has just a little loft to it and gives beautiful definition to your quilting.

Walmart sells several different types of batting, so I can't really tell where the problem is. I buy (from Walmart)the 80/20 blend and it does great. It's the same thickness as warm and natural, just a bit cheaper and very little shrink. There isn't much loft to it, so you won't have the puffy look. If you are using the low loft poly there won't be a puffy look either.

Blog Entries
    warm & natural,
    Hobbs Heirloom 80/20
    Dream Poly
    Dream Wool
    Dream Bamboo
    Dream Orient
    Dream Cotton

those are the ones i use most often-
    every quilt is different- I use the batt that works for that quilt-
    it is important to read the packaging- some batts need to be quilted every 2" some you can have up to 10" between quilting lines-
    they come in lots of different (lofts) thicknesses- some are very very flat/thin- some are very (fluffy) lofty ---up to an inch! some are good for tied quilts- some are not.
    some batts do not shrink at all- some a little- some alot-
    some can be washed and dried at normal settings- some need special care- Read the packaging and use the batt that will work for your project

Blog Entries
    Hi Scissor Queen
    When you order Hobbs by the case do you get the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20? Do you hand quilt? If so, how does this batting quilt?

My very favorite batting is Fairfield Softtouch. ($40 for a queen size!) Oh, it drapes like melted butter....

But I can't afford it, so I buy Hobbs Polydown. It is 108" wide and a 30 yard roll. Cost is $86, plus $25 shipping.
    It makes my quilts drape nicely. I've been very pleased with this batting.

http://www.longarmsupplies.net/hobbs...wnbatting.aspx

Thanks for all the input....The word drapy was the discriptive word I was trying to use. I will try this batting next quilt. Thanks

Hey I found the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 on sale at connecting threads for only 20.99 for king size.

The Polydown from Connecting Threads is not the same as the rolled batting. I purchased a case from CT and was soooo disapointed, I had a hard time using it all up. Maybe you could share a roll with someone, just to try it out.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is warm & natural.
    It's all I use. :-D

Blog Entries
    i always use an 80/20. i don't care for the puffy look

I use Warm and natural. My machine does weird stuff when I use anything else. It does not like poly.

Quote Originally Posted by GemState
    Hi Scissor Queen
    When you order Hobbs by the case do you get the Hobbs Heirloom 80/20? Do you hand quilt? If so, how does this batting quilt?
    HI GemState.... I wouldn't try to use Hobbs 80/20. There is a scrim embedded in the batting which makes hand quilting a little harder. I heard from people who hand quilt to check out Quilter's Dream batting. I don't remember which one is the best for hand quilting.

Blog Entries
    Hey ManiacQuilter, thanks for the heads up. I usually use Warm and Natural/White and find it to work well. Maybe I will just stick to what I have been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Quote Originally Posted by GemState
    Hi Scissor Queen
    HI GemState.... I wouldn't try to use Hobbs 80/20. There is a scrim embedded in the batting which makes hand quilting a little harder. I heard from people who hand quilt to check out Quilter's Dream batting. I don't remember which one is the best for hand quilting.
    I hand quilted some Quilter's Dream Request weight. Like quilting thru butter!! The Hobbs Heirloom doesn't have a scrim but it's resin bonded. I really like it for machine quilting.