Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting >

batting

batting

Old 03-13-2012, 07:37 PM

Default batting

ok i did a crazy thing i went on a small shopping spree to a neighboring town with some quilting friends on my list to purchase was batting as i have 3baby quilts to get out in the next few months. i was in joanns with my coupons shopping away and batting was 50 percent off i grabbed 3 of the size i wanted and picked up some fabric for a breast cancer quilt and a new pair of scissors and used my coupons and headed home. i picked up baby quilt # 1
today from the longarmer and she said did you know you bought fusible batting ?? i told her i hadnt noticed and i was kinda embarrassed to admit i wasnt sure what the difference would make in my quilts do i need to exchange it
im not sure if i have the reciept as it was a month ago or can i just use it ??
will it make a difference or not ?? i know baby quilts are washed more often will they still stand up to that the only difference i could tell was it seemed a little thicker and stiffer than my usual choice.
carla m
Old 03-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Banned

it might matter to the longarmer, and to the mother of the baby getting the quilt (chemicals). I would ask both.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 PM

The glue on fusible batting will wash out when you wash the quilt. I use it all the time--it's not permanent. I always wash my quilts before I gift them that way there's no glue left in the quilt.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I do the same thing. I wash my quilts before I gift them and there's nothing harmful left on them. They are soft just like using regular cotton batting. No worries!