Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting??? >

Batting???

Batting???

Old 05-01-2015, 06:19 AM

Default Batting???

Everyone on this board has been so helpful so I am requesting advice on what batting is the best. I would like a batting that does not crinkle up when washed - if there is such a thing. I have tried wool batting and others. How does the hobbs 80/20 work and where can I purchase it? I see on the board that alot of quilters use this batting. Any advice welcome and thanking you all in advance.
Lorraine (Jordan)
Old 05-01-2015, 07:02 AM

I think poly batting shrinks the least. However, I prefer cotton batting, so for quilts that I don't want to crinkle much I pre-shrink the batting. I put it in a large sink of hot water, let it soak at least an hour, then spin it in the washer, then dry in a hot dryer. This way most all of the shrinking occurs before it is in the quilt.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:18 AM

Every quilt has an appropriate batting. Since you don't want any shrink or "crinkle" after washing, you will need to prewash your fabrics and use a poly batting (no shrink) or a cotton batting and preshrink it. I have used poly battings in many quilts, but most require closer quilting lines (2"-4" or 4"-6")than the cottons with a scrim(some are up to 10"), so that is also something to keep in mind. I personally don't care for real close quilting, so I always try to choose one that allows more space between the quilting lines.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 AM

I've pre-soaked Warm & Natural batting for shrinkage and still had a crinkle effect after machine washing and drying. Probably the best way to avoid any crinkle would be to (cautiously, as wet bats can be pretty fragile) pre-soak whatever bat you use and then wash the quilt in cold water and dry flat rather than drying with heat. In her Heirloom Machine Quilting book, Harriet Hargrave recommended drying by laying the washed quilt outside on some bushes where the weight is supported. I would try this if I had any bushes! I imagine a quilt takes a long time to dry on the floor (with something plastic underneath to protect the floor), but I've read that setting up some fans in the room helps hasten the process.

Maybe someone who has compared the two can say whether the 80/20 mix shrinks less than the 100% cotton bats, with or without pre-soaking.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:43 AM

I also don't like shrinkage, so I only use Soft & Bright by the Warm Co. It is a needled polyester batting. Has a similar feel and thickness of the Warm & White.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:52 AM
Power Poster

There isn't any one batting that everyone likes. You have to try various batting and see what you prefer. I have used Hobbs 80/20 since it first came out. I like that there is a slight puffiness to the batting. If I am making a quilt from reproduction fabrics, I will use W&N for a flat antique look. Best batting in my opinion is Quilter's Dream Cotton. I would just Google and see if an online store that you have bought from has it in stock.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

I don't think there is a "best" batting. Sounds like a poly batt will be best for your needs or one that has a very high poly content. Interesting how we all have our preferences in the final look. I love that crinkled look.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 AM
Power Poster

Connecting Threads carries Hobbs battings, has goodness prices and free shipping @ $50
Old 05-03-2015, 06:58 AM

Thank you everyone for your input and feedback info. I do agree that it is a trial and error effort. I did wash some Warm and Natural batting one time and it just fell apart. I have tried quilters dream and was very pleased with it but have not washed the quilt as of yet. Thank you once again QB members. You are the greatest and most helpful.