Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 09-18-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Batting

The quilt shop where i got my batting has closed down, I would like info on batting by the roll, what kind etc...Joann's has a big sale on hers every so often...I would appreciate any insight as to the different kinds and what you like the best...and affordable...
Thanks...
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM

I am loving the roll of Warm and Plush that I have right now. It's 100% cotton, no scrim, and thick and fluffy with beautiful drape. It's very affordably priced on Overstock or Walmart's online stores, often with free shipping.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:31 PM

I am a Warm & Natural or White & Natural user. I'm from Louisiana. The W&N isn't too heavy for us to use in the summer as a bed cover. JAF is where I buy most of mine, especially with a 50% off coupon. I never pay full price for it. I do buy the King size when it's on sale. There is a scrim to the W&N.

I am going to check out the Warm & Plush. Sometimes, I would like a bit more loft.

Edited to add: Because my memory has deemed itself to be full, I made these notes about scrim. FYI...I do quilt on a long arm Nolting.

The smooth with very little surface definition or texture lays against the wrong side of the backing fabric.

The Scrim which has bumpy, needling holes visible with specks of seeds or stems goes to the back side of the pieced quilt top.

If you put this batting in backwards, it pulls little tufts to the top, out of all the needle holes and you cannot get rid of them.

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 09-18-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:18 PM
Power Poster

I mainly use high loft polyester batting.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 PM

I've been using W&N that I bought a roll with a 50% off coupon forever ago. I'm not a prolific quilter. It does tend to be a bit more stiff until washed frequently. It's also a heavy batting but I, personally, like a heavy quilt/blanket so that works for me. I do normally hand quilt this batting with no issues.

All that said, I will probably try the Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting next time I am in the market. Another friend of mine uses that and it does drape better than the W&N. Can't attest to the weight, however.

Just my observations...
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Check out BattingSuperSale.com. I have gotten some good deals from them. They have a sale right now for a couple of more days.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:32 PM

I get Hobbs 80/20 either from my LQS (she'll order a roll for me) or a long arm quilt shop about 45 minutes away--with both i save on shipping by picking it up.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:24 AM
Power Poster

I've had great luck purchasing from BattingSuperSale.com
i ordered a 15 yard roll from Joanne's recently and it arrived in (3) 5 yard pieces in (3) packages. I was upset & called them and was told quite often they cut the rolls and ship them that way. I said that should be on their website. I expected a bolt of batting.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:23 AM

I use Warm and White from J's. I suggest the next sale, get a few that you think you like and try a few. I chose the White instead of natural because cotton is white not almond. I like the pop. Once you decide wait for a sale with free shipping and it will be delivered right to your front door. A great bargain. The hard part is finding a place to store it. Mine sits wrapped in a table cloth under my sewing table.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:58 AM

I buy my batting from Heartbeat Quilting, great prices and wonderful customer service.