Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting?

Batting?

I'm extremely new to quilting and sewing in general, and I have absolutely no idea what type of batting I should use for my quilt.
    What is the best batting to use when making a summer quilt? (It gets very, very hot where I live so I don't want a warm, winter quilt)
    Or should I use just not use batting at all and just sew the quilt top and the backing together?

Blog Entries
    You could just sew the top and backing together or you could put a piece of flannel in the middle. It's up to you. I always use Warm and Natural for the batting, but I live in Minnesota, and it can get pretty chilly.

Blog Entries
    No batting is an option but some use flannel in place of batting.

Blog Entries
    I would probably opt for the thinnest weight (request weight) of Quilter's Dream cotton. Batting gives a little body and drape to the quilt. Here is a link: http://quiltersdreambatting.com/dream-cotton.htm

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't like not using a batting because the thickness of the 3 layers helps the quilting stitches "sink" in and look flawless. going to throw out a "wild" idea--but what about a thin wool bat? Wool breathes--meaning unlike poly, it doesn't trap sweat. And unlike cotton or a cotton/poly blend, wool is very lightweight and drapes wonderfully. Ask at a local quilt shop to see if they have anything quilted with a layer of wool to see the feel of it.

Blog Entries
    I agree that wool would be a good choice. I like Hobbs Heirloom wool.

Blog Entries
    My summer quilt has Dream wool batting. It is lightweight, breaths, drapes beautifully and is just wonderful. It also launders well, the quilt is used and has held up wonderfully for 10 years and counting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

There are 4 summer quilts in my house. None of them have batting. They are just a top and a backing, usually an old sheet. It can be very hot at night here in the summer and these are the absolute perfect weight. If they were any warmer, we would not use them.

I live in the South and I still use batting in all my quilts but we run our air conditioner 9-10 months out of the year and we like it rather cool in the house. A thin wool would be an easy choice but I'd try a sheet, it would be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Austinite View Post
    I live in the South and I still use batting in all my quilts but we run our air conditioner 9-10 months out of the year and we like it rather cool in the house. A thin wool would be an easy choice but I'd try a sheet, it would be cheaper.
    That's a good point Austinite - AC usage. In our case, we open our bedroom windows as often as possible. So if the humidity goes down and/or the temp drops a little, we turn the AC off. Therefore my nighttime sleeping temperature is probably a little warmer than yours.

literalsalad - I think you should determine how hot/cold your bedroom is in the summer and plan accordingly. Consider what blanket weight you currently like in the summer and try to make your quilt approximately the same. Before I made the quilt we would use a sheet and a thin cotton blanket. My quilt (just a top and bottom, no batting) is about the same weight as the thin cotton blanket was.

The nice thing is, it's your quilt and you can make it however you like, and you have gotten great advice so far. I'd just like to add that if you use flannel it should be pre-washed as it tends to shrink alot. You said you are new to quilting, but if you have some scraps to play with make three small blocks, one without any batting, one with batting and one with flannel.

Lastly....welcome to the quilt board you'll find many friendly and helpful people here!
    Sue

If you plan on hand or machine quilting it I think you need some kind of batting as the stitches look better to me.
    You've received good advice from the others on batting or flannel.

Welcome to the board, I live in AZ also. send me a PM and let me know where you live.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Thanks for all the advice!
    I'll update you on what I end up using and how it works out.

Welcome to this board.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Silk and wool are good choices fir quilts used in hot and/or humid climates. The fibers breathe naturally and while they’ll keep you warm when needed, they don’t make you hot, and both are very lightweight. Stay away from 100% polyester for summer or warm weather quilts as the Poly will lick on you body heat.

Steph
    Director of Sales & Marketing, Hobbs Batting