Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Batting

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    What a waste of time. I am too busy sewing quilts for donation. Wasting water and electricity and my precious time washing a batting .
    I have always had "a suspicion" that many that receive "a donation quilt" may not have the most modern laundry facilities or be aware of "the best way" to wash a quilt.

Therefore, that is why I try to remove possible problems before an item leaves my custody. I think it would be sad for the recipient if a donated quilt fell apart or bled after/during the first washing.

The problem is that the cotton batting shrinks at a different percentage than the fabric so threads could break.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    These are the instructions from the W&N site:
    https://warmcompany.com/products/war...bs_productcare

I just open it up & scrunch it into a loose ball, put it in the laundry tub, get it wet, then press down on the batt while it's in the tub to get rid of as much water as I can. Then roll it in a towel, again to remove as much moisture that way. Then I put it the dryer. When you remove the wet batt from the tub, lift it from the bottom, don't grab a fold from the top. While drying, check the lint trap often and rearrange the bulk. Finally, I try and take it out when it is almost dry, and lay it on a bed, smoothing any wrinkles. In any case remove promptly from the dry and let it cool flat.
    This is what I do too using hot water and letting it soak for awhile. I don't want a real crinkly look to my quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
    I spray water on the batting and put in dryer. Just enough wet heat to shrink the batting without having to wash it.
    Thanks for this idea. Will have to try that.

I use warm and natural all The time. Always preshrink I do not care for it to shrink 3-5%. I run warm water in the machine let it soak for 20-30 minutes spin it out in the washer and dry all the way. Works great

Hello, I have a question regarding types of batting, which one will stop being a magnet for well everything. Presently I am using cotton with a cotton top, but everything seems to stick to it. What am I doing wrong?

I take out the Warm and Natural from the plastic bag. I take the batting out and lay it out and spritz the batting with bottle and gently wipe it. Then I take 6 white wash clothes really wet and lightly squeezed. Throw the Warm and Natural in the dryer and put my 8 wool balls, the wash clothes and rearrange every thing in the dryer for about a 10 minutes, move everything all about and put it in the dryer again for for 60 minutes. It is fluffy and has been slightly smaller but it is great for me. I also wash all my fabric before I even start a quilt.
    Busy in Ohio

Blog Entries
    I found that if you wash the finished quilt on gentle and than dry it on low heat it will not pucker that much either
    If it is good batting and quilted like it is supposed to be there is not too much shrinkage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2