Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting >

Batting

Batting

Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 AM

I have some warm and natural that I want to use for a bow tucks. Found out this morning that it is a little thicker than what I used the last time. Would you still use it? I am trying to use up what batting I have without buying any more right now.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 AM
Power Poster

i would use it...i use up all of my scraps when possible, if you are worried about the 3% shrinkage you could wet it in the sink, squeeze out the water then put into dryer. that should take care of most of it. i use what ever batting i have left over for all of my smaller projects.:)
Old 12-21-2010, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

No reason why you can't use it at all - I couldn't find any Pellon when I did my first one, and I used Heavyweight vylene on both outside and inside. It wasn't adhesive, so I quilted both sides, but it was hard to turn inside out. The second two I did, I still used the vylene on the outside, and poly batting on the lining, which made it a lot easier to turn. I happen to like the rather more structured look that the vylene gave.

I finally managed to get some Pellon, because I was curious to see what it was like, and I don't intend to use it in a bag, because it seems so very soft to me after doing the firmer versions.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i would use it...i use up all of my scraps when possible, if you are worried about the 3% shrinkage you could wet it in the sink, squeeze out the water then put into dryer. that should take care of most of it. i use what ever batting i have left over for all of my smaller projects.:)
Ok I wet my batting a little and put it in the dryer. When I went to get it out to see if it was dry yet it had a smell not only on the batting but in my dryer and a lot of little black what looks like lint balls. It is still wet a little and am afraid to put it back in the dryer. If it has a smell now how will it smell when the bag is washed? Has this happened to anyone? Does warm and natural get like this when you get it wet? Should I still use it?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
No reason why you can't use it at all - I couldn't find any Pellon when I did my first one, and I used Heavyweight vylene on both outside and inside. It wasn't adhesive, so I quilted both sides, but it was hard to turn inside out. The second two I did, I still used the vylene on the outside, and poly batting on the lining, which made it a lot easier to turn. I happen to like the rather more structured look that the vylene gave.

I finally managed to get some Pellon, because I was curious to see what it was like, and I don't intend to use it in a bag, because it seems so very soft to me after doing the firmer versions.
Never heard of vylene. What is it?