Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Batting in Table Runners

Batting in Table Runners

If I want a flat look on table runners, should I prewash the batting (Warm and Natural)? Or would a 20X42 runner be small enough to remain flat after washing? What do you all do? I don't want it to crinkle.

Blog Entries
    I like to use cheap flannel from my batting for table runners.

Blog Entries
    if you are using warm & natural---you can pre-shrink it if you want to---if you do not want to---the more quilting you add the (flatter) the runner will remain- very little quilting allows lots of area to (shrink) lots of quilting keeps it flatter.
    often i use either pre-washed inexpensive flannel or a very thin polyester batting in runners (polyester batting does not shrink) i still do alot of quilting to keep it all flat. w&n although a fairly flat batting does tend to 'shrink up' cause alot of crinkling...alot of quilting will help with that...my mom does not like the one runner i made her with w&n in it (the first one i made) i learned from there...& try different things...
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use fusible fleece and lots of quilting.

Blog Entries
    Fusible or non fusible fleece. Stays nice and flat.

I use Warm and Natural is lots of table runners. Preshrink the batting! I soak mine a good amount of time (overnight) to ensure all the fibers have gotten saturated, then spin and toss in the dryer. Note you may have to periodically submerge the batting as Warm and Natural has a tendency to float.

DITTO to all above!!!
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I use Warm and Natural batting for all of my quilts, but I have to say that recently I tried Quilters Dream all cotton batting and love it for table runners, place mats etc. It's not quite as thick and the shrinkage is so slight that you'd hardly notice.

I just finished a 14 foot tablerunner, thats right I said 14 foot. I used cheap flannel and washed it twice in hot hot water to shrink it.

I use flannel too. Works great

Blog Entries
    Pellon fleece interfacing, sold with the interfacing in JoAnn's, 45" wide available in fusible or non fusible. I use the non fusible. Gives it body, but flat enough for a candle to be safe. Example:
    Name:  C's Spicy Spiral.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  1.41 MB

I too use the Pellon fleece non fusible. I like my table runners flat and this does it. Irish Rose -- I love your Spicy Spiral -- I put the pellon in the one I did too and it is great. The teacher I had when I started quilting again after about 15 years absence used this all the time.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use flannel. Pre wash and it works great. Plus cheap to do!

I use thermolane....it is a very thin fleece type used in padded clothing........does not shrink when washed, so it must be a poly product...not in my sewing world now.....but I like that the best. I use JoAnn coupons when I need to buy more. gives enough loft for looks, but not thick and lumpy.......when quilted down...