Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
batting woes >

batting woes

batting woes

Old 02-02-2018, 08:49 AM
anonymous

Default batting woes

I am a newish LA'er, and working on a computerized quilt right now. I just advanced my quilt and 1/3'd of the way in from the side of the last roll I noticed that maybe my batting has some pleats/puckers. I have an innova LA which I am able to lift my quilt top bar just to be able smooth my batting. I did do this, but somehow I must have missed this area. I tend to be sort of a perfectionist by nature (at times a curse), but my question is, should I rip this out and redo or once the quilt is washed and wrinkles naturally will it not be noticed anyway. The quilt is for my grown daughter so not a customer quilt or anything. Not sue you can tell anything from the photos.
Attached Thumbnails img_2472.jpeg   img_2473.jpeg  

Old 02-02-2018, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I don't have a long arm, so this is just my opinion. It looks like a lovely quilt and would I rather have needle holes or batting puckers that may not show? I think I would go with the puckers that may not show once the quilt is washed and the batting puffs and the fabric shrinks a bit. Live and learn as the saying goes.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

I would not rip. As you mentioned, after it's washed, you won't be able to tell, especially if it's a natural fiber batt like cotton or wool. Also if "Not sure you can tell anything from the photos." it's probably not as bad as you think!
Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 AM

I agree. Since it is not a customer quilt I would chalk it up to a learning experience and quilt away. Lovely scrappy quilt!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

I had that happen on my first longarming quilt. I left the creases in. It was barely noticeable after the quilt was finished, probably only by me, and I was hard pressed to find the area after the quilt was washed. I haven’t seen the quilt recently, but I think that area blends in more with each washing. My advice is to leave as is and chalk it up to experience. The batting in my quilt, by the way, was Warm and Natural.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 PM

Gorgeous quilt....
Old 02-04-2018, 03:31 AM

We are our own worst critics. Leave it.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:34 AM

I agree...I wouldn’t rip either. it probably looks worse to you but will more than likely get lost after washing.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:50 AM

Leave it. Chalk it up to your longarmming education tuition. I had it happen once, too. Mine was only at the very bottom, not a long pleat, for a family member, I left it and said nothing. No one knows it's there but me.

To prevent it from happening again, I adopted a new way of handling battings, which works beautifully. After loading the backing, I attach the batting across the top with stitches, then smoothe it with my hands onto the backing, a little at a time, rolling both onto the takeup bar as needed, all the way to the bottom, where I use flat head flower pins to attach it to the backing across the bottom. Then roll back up to the top and stitch down the quilt top, proceed to quilt. The batting rolls right along with the backing as one unit and I never have to think about it again. I have never had a pleat or pucker in my batting after I started doing this.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:02 AM

I also agree with the opinion to leave it. In the long run I doubt of it will be noticeable.