Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bearding problem >

Bearding problem

Bearding problem

Old 05-25-2013, 05:19 PM

I just watched love of quilting today and they talked about this bearding she suggested if the fabric is dark on the back and you can use black batting you should
Old 05-25-2013, 05:27 PM

I have been primarily using wool batting for the last few quilts I have done. I use either Dream Wool or Hobbs Wool and I have yet to have a problem. Except for the last quilt I did. The fabric I used for the background on the top was EXTREMELY loosely woven. It was a dark charcoal (not that the color matters).Before and immediately after I washed it I had bearding. No bearding on the back though, which is a fabric from Free Spirit, so very nice quality, higher thread count and tighter woven. The background, terrible quality. I attributed it to the loosely woven fabric which did not tighten up at all after washing.

I looked at the last quilt that I did with Hobbs and it has no fuzz or bearding at all. Another case for not only buying the best quality fabric that you can afford but also using common sense when selecting fabrics. I knew when I picked up the charcoal that it felt rough and loosely woven but I ignored those facts because I liked the color, texture and I thought that with washing it would improve. This fabric was purchased in my LQS.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:33 PM

This is interesting, regarding the thread count of the fabric.

As a "save" for the quilt; on sweaters with pills, I've used a safety razor and cut them off. I think it might work on a quilt with bearding. I'd try an electric razor and shave the quilt.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Gay

I had this happen with one quilting job I did, I was mortified. Weeks later I read somewhere that wadding does indeed have a right and wrong side. Try with the rough side up and the smooth/shiny side down, facing the backing. It's hard to tell which is which with some battings. I often use an inexpensive sheet from Spotlight [that's Australia] , which is 80%cotton/20polyester, fine threaded, for the backing, and have no trouble with bearding, so it's not caused by the fabric.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 AM

Interesting thread. If the bearding is caused by not putting the correct side against the backing (in battings with right and wrong sides) wouldn't the problem be transferred to the top?
Old 05-26-2013, 04:10 AM

I've not used wool batting so this is totally a guess on my part - could you be using a needle that is larger than necessary for your thread or that has a slight burr? I would think either of those could contribute to your issue.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Interesting thread. If the bearding is caused by not putting the correct side against the backing (in battings with right and wrong sides) wouldn't the problem be transferred to the top?
I'm thinking (and I might be wrong) is that since the needle is punching down, that the bearding would be on the back side and not the top.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:22 AM

Are you using dark colored batting? Are you using the same brand of fabric for you backing?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:53 AM

I have been doing all kinds of experiments today.

There is a clear difference in the fabric thread count: the lower the count the more bearding I see.

Other than that, it's a bit hard to see what is going on.

I have the Pellon wool and this stuff is a nightmare! Rubbing it even a little onto cotton causes massive amounts of wool to slough off. My black pants got wool all over them. I would never use this stuff now. The Dream wool does not come off like this onto my black pants and only somewhat when I rub it onto cotton.

I do see a possible difference between the two sides of the Dream Wool - one seems more bound and the other seems more friable. But I'm not sure!

Can anyone confirm that the Dream Wool has two sides that are different? If it does this could make a big difference.

Thanks

Lainey
Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 AM

What I am wondering is:

If the Dream Wool does in fact have a less-beardy side and a more-beardy side, then I could put two layers together with the less-beardy sides facing out (touching the quilt fabric).

Is this too wishful thinking?

I think I will go do this right now with two wool layers to make some small little quilted sandwiches made from low thread count cotton and rub them vigorously...

I will say that needles and needle size has nothing to do with this - the wool comes straight through the pores of the cotton fabric.

Lainey