Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Has anyone ever had aquilt bearding problem ?

  1. #1
    Dora Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belton, TX
    Posts
    200
    I have a quilt that has been washed 3 times and it still beards. I have a quilt that wont quit bearding. I think the problem must be the batting, because it is quilted ever 4 inches, this is the first time i use batting called Quilters Dream, what do you think

  2. #2
    Power Poster MadQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    ELVERTA, CA
    Posts
    15,156
    Blog Entries
    1
    I use warm and natural or warm and white and never had a problem.

  3. #3
    samroberts01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mt. pleasant, MI
    Posts
    545
    Ok another question, what is bearding?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    fullerton ca
    Posts
    681
    ya what is bearding ???

  5. #5
    Dora Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belton, TX
    Posts
    200
    Those are the little white fuzzz balls that come to the top of the quilt.

  6. #6
    samroberts01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mt. pleasant, MI
    Posts
    545
    Oohhhh... thanks!!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Andover
    Posts
    51
    There is a right and wrong side to the quilt batting. Put the wrong side to the backing fabric. If it is needle punched batting. You can tell cause the wrong side had little nubs on it. That way when you are quilting the needle will go threw the batting easier cause it has already been punched. I have used Dream Cotton many times and have not had any trouble.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Andover
    Posts
    51
    I have also used Quilters Dream

  9. #9
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I've never had a problem with bearding. But I use either poly or warm and natural.

  10. #10
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    Sorry, I posted twice. Silly me.

  11. #11
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    I have a quilt that has been washed 3 times and it still beards. I have a quilt that wont quit bearding. I think the problem must be the batting, because it is quilted ever 4 inches, this is the first time i use batting called Quilters Dream, what do you think
    Once bearding starts, it is almost always impossible to stop. The most you can do is cut the beards off the surface, perhaps with one of those cutters designed to cut pills off sweaters.

    Was it cotton batting or polyester? My understanding is that only polyester and wool battings beard (and maybe some of the newer type battings such as bamboo). Quilters Dream cotton has an outstanding reputation, so I would be very surprised if this were a cotton batting. Cotton and silk battings are not supposed to beard at all, I think.

    Most poly and wool battings these days are coated with resins to "retard" bearding. Do you still have the wrapper for the batting? I'd be very interested to know exactly which batting it was. If the wrapper says it is needlepunched and/or bonded, I would call the manufacturer.

  12. #12
    Dora Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belton, TX
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    I have a quilt that has been washed 3 times and it still beards. I have a quilt that wont quit bearding. I think the problem must be the batting, because it is quilted ever 4 inches, this is the first time i use batting called Quilters Dream, what do you think
    Once bearding starts, it is almost always impossible to stop. The most you can do is cut the beards off the surface, perhaps with one of those cutters designed to cut pills off sweaters.

    Was it cotton batting or polyester? My understanding is that only polyester and wool battings beard (and maybe some of the newer type battings such as bamboo). Quilters Dream cotton has an outstanding reputation, so I would be very surprised if this were a cotton batting. Cotton and silk battings are not supposed to beard at all, I think.

    Most poly and wool battings these days are coated with resins to "retard" bearding. Do you still have the wrapper for the batting? I'd be very interested to know exactly which batting it was. If the wrapper says it is needlepunched and/or bonded, I would call the manufacturer.
    I am not sure which one I used...I have never had this problem before.

  13. #13
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quilter's Dream has so many different types of batting, I can only guess that it was a poly or bamboo. I think someone else posted about bamboo having a bearding problem.

    Wish I could offer more help!

  14. #14
    Dora Taggart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Belton, TX
    Posts
    200
    What is so weird is the bearding is only on one side of the quilt...and of course it is the top side, the back looks great.

  15. #15
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    11,877
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
    What is so weird is the bearding is only on one side of the quilt...and of course it is the top side, the back looks great.
    Most likely the fabric on the top is a looser weave than the one used for the backing, or possibly the bearding is only at the seams? Stitch-in-ditch that is done directly on the seam line can promote bearding, according to some.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.