Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone ever had aquilt  bearding problem ? >

Has anyone ever had aquilt bearding problem ?

Has anyone ever had aquilt bearding problem ?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Dora Taggart
I have a quilt that has been washed 3 times and it still beards. I have a quilt that wont quit bearding. I think the problem must be the batting, because it is quilted ever 4 inches, this is the first time i use batting called Quilters Dream, what do you think
Once bearding starts, it is almost always impossible to stop. The most you can do is cut the beards off the surface, perhaps with one of those cutters designed to cut pills off sweaters.

Was it cotton batting or polyester? My understanding is that only polyester and wool battings beard (and maybe some of the newer type battings such as bamboo). Quilters Dream cotton has an outstanding reputation, so I would be very surprised if this were a cotton batting. Cotton and silk battings are not supposed to beard at all, I think.

Most poly and wool battings these days are coated with resins to "retard" bearding. Do you still have the wrapper for the batting? I'd be very interested to know exactly which batting it was. If the wrapper says it is needlepunched and/or bonded, I would call the manufacturer.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I have a quilt that has been washed 3 times and it still beards. I have a quilt that wont quit bearding. I think the problem must be the batting, because it is quilted ever 4 inches, this is the first time i use batting called Quilters Dream, what do you think
Once bearding starts, it is almost always impossible to stop. The most you can do is cut the beards off the surface, perhaps with one of those cutters designed to cut pills off sweaters.

Was it cotton batting or polyester? My understanding is that only polyester and wool battings beard (and maybe some of the newer type battings such as bamboo). Quilters Dream cotton has an outstanding reputation, so I would be very surprised if this were a cotton batting. Cotton and silk battings are not supposed to beard at all, I think.

Most poly and wool battings these days are coated with resins to "retard" bearding. Do you still have the wrapper for the batting? I'd be very interested to know exactly which batting it was. If the wrapper says it is needlepunched and/or bonded, I would call the manufacturer.
I am not sure which one I used...I have never had this problem before.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Power Poster

Quilter's Dream has so many different types of batting, I can only guess that it was a poly or bamboo. I think someone else posted about bamboo having a bearding problem.

Wish I could offer more help!
Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

What is so weird is the bearding is only on one side of the quilt...and of course it is the top side, the back looks great.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Power Poster

What is so weird is the bearding is only on one side of the quilt...and of course it is the top side, the back looks great.
Most likely the fabric on the top is a looser weave than the one used for the backing, or possibly the bearding is only at the seams? Stitch-in-ditch that is done directly on the seam line can promote bearding, according to some.