Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bed Runner complete - but how to quilt ? >

Bed Runner complete - but how to quilt ?

Bed Runner complete - but how to quilt ?

Old 02-16-2018, 12:29 AM

Thanks for the tips prism - I didn't know about safety pins over straight pins so I will definitley do that and add a few more round the edges especially.

I know you can spray baste and I did think about it but I'm generally not a huge fan of spray glues for anything (I do a lot of other craft things) so decided not to do that for now.

My background fabric is bigger than my top but as not as much as it should be I know - but I had the perfect piece of flamingo fabric and it was all I had of it.

I don't think I am ever going to be a huge quilt maker (we don't tend to use them so much here in UK) but will b emote about wwall hangings, runners etc. I am in in the middle of a crazy quilting project at the moment which I am loving. I want to start a much larger, complaicated paper pieced project next as I enjoy these
Old 02-16-2018, 03:46 AM

I just want to say that you’re doing a wonderful job and it appears you are stretching your boundaries nicely. How big are your blocks? Depending on your batting and how far apart your quilting needs to be, maybe you just quilt in the sashing and not the blocks themselves...
Old 02-16-2018, 05:24 AM

The blocks are only 6’ square so I think I will SID round each block and then have a look at doing something more detailed in the sashing - either a wavy line or some zig-zags. I want to keep trying new things so I can see what I enjoy (or not!)
Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 AM

You might want to baste with school glue. You use Elmer's washable school glue. drizzle lines across your backing, lay down batting, drizzle glue over batting and lay down your top. Smooth out and let glue dry. It holds everything together nicely and washes out later. Just be sure it is "washable" school glue. Many quilters like this method. Here's a link to the glue on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Washab...70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited by selm; 02-16-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:11 AM

OhCanada, That is beautiful!! Such a pretty quilt, I am putting those pics in my "inspiration" files!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM

For glue basting, here is a video that gives a recipe that allows you take you own washable SPRAY glue. (It uses flour, salt, water, and rubbing alcohol. (I believe that rubbing alcohol is called surgical spirit(s) in the UK.)) This is an an inexpensive, and (more importantly) non-toxic alternative to commercial spray glues.

I plan to try this when I complete my current quilt. (I will first test it out on small quilt sandwich before applying it to my quilt.)
Old 02-16-2018, 02:39 PM

Just wanted to say that I love your blocks! Please post pic when finished.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:23 AM

It's a lovely sampler, I would keep the quilting to a minimum, maybe just the outline of each block and a chevron on the border, great job
Old 02-17-2018, 08:16 AM

Spray basting is not gluing...buy a can of quilt baste spray....i think there's a brand called 505? Do a very very light spray, a 1 second spritz, and lay down your fabric...miracle. And no pins to accidentally sew over...it washes right out, once you wash the runner.
Second easy suggestion...do the lovely triangles and then make a second line, echoing the first and make it less than 1/4 inch away...it's the beginning of matchstick quilting and it makes a lovely geometric. Hope this helps.