Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Been thinking about the lost quilt >

Been thinking about the lost quilt

Been thinking about the lost quilt

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Many people here have mentioned the microchip, but the problem I see is that you need special equipment to read it. Yes, you do need "special equipment" to read a QR code - a cell phone with a camera and internet access. But there are WAAAAY more people with cell phones than microchip readers. The other problem with a microchip is you can't see it. If you can't see it, how do you know it's there?

My husband and I were discussing the problem of what to do if the quilter does not have his/her own website. He thinks the solution is to have people register their quilts for a dollar or two (to offset the cost of running the website) and they could register their quilt. If the quilt is lost or stolen, the website activates the page linked to the quilt. Anyone who clicks on the QR code is taken to that page, informing them the quilt is missing, and is given information on how to return it. (I've actually contacted Maria from lostquilt.com about this.)

As far as actually PREVENTING theft, I honestly don't think there is a way to do that. Anyone willing to steal will find a way.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 AM

you are right about the scanner, we were thinking that the quilt guild itself would purchase the scanner. But after looking at what was proposed here I think the developing a web-sit and letting people regester there quilts there is a great idea. As you say more people have the cell phones and they are getting more sufictacated every day. Also word of mouth. If you here of anyone setting up the web-sit please post it here on the board, I have a couple of quilts to regester.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 AM

I hadn't thought of putting the label on before quilting. That seems "too" easy, like so many of the common sense tips I'm picking up here :D

Last year in my daughter's history class the teacher found out there were several grandmothers and family members who quilt and sew, so she set up a little show one Saturday morning. She used her digital camera to take a picture of the entrant with their piece (EACH piece, as they were allowed as many as they wanted). It was for her class scrapbook, but that would be an option for a quilt show as well. No one is allowed to leave unless/until they match the photo.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
(I've actually contacted Maria from lostquilt.com about this.)

As far as actually PREVENTING theft, I honestly don't think there is a way to do that. Anyone willing to steal will find a way.
Contacting Maria is another great idea - her site has been invaluable, because all I need to do is give them the link, and there's the picture of the quilt.

Janet
Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 AM

Okay from the pix on the site that one had the name address, etc along withe the code.
Originally Posted by cindi
Originally Posted by frarose
I have a dumb question. If the name and address on the label doesn't help how will the code help?
It's not a dumb question, Frarose! It will help because you don't have to put your personal information on the quilt. I've never been a fan of putting my personal address or phone number on the quilt. The QR code will take the finder to your web page, where they can contact you directly.

The thought of a stranger knocking on my door scares me anymore - there are too many crazy people out there!
Old 05-09-2011, 08:52 AM

Hi there, What if someone wanted to start a business and would like to register each quilt that is made. Like a "Quilt Registry". These would include photographs of front back etc or anything relevant. We could each have our own trade mark included in the making of the quilt. There could be a website and we could post photos to register and also if a quilt is stolen. Being quilters and used to detailed work, I am sure we would get to recognise other peoples work which would include their trademark. This is off the top of my head and would probably need some more thought so if anyne has any more ideas or would like to toss this around we might be able to sort it out.
I don't mean for me to do it but reckon it would be a good job for the right person. lol Gleniveve
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:06 AM

We could even use our names that we use on the Quilting Board. Outsiders wouldn't recognise them but we would recognise each others or get a new name just for the purpose of identification. Gleniveve
Old 05-09-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Toddy
This sound like a really neet idea, but it still dose not deal with theft and I am afraid that that is what happened to Janets' quilt. I also had an idea, why could you not put a chip in the quilt like they put into pets. My son just had his dog done. He said that it was so small that the vet used a needel and the dog did not even fell it. Our guild was even thinking about purchasing one and for a small fee put chips into members quilt.
The problem with the microchips is that someone would still have to take the initiative and "scan" the chip. The chip is not a locator device. All it does is contain a special ID number that when given to the manufacturer or company that controls the database gives the inquirer the information that matches that ID number. So it would serve the same purpose as the printed code that the OP suggested.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Toddy
I also had an idea, why could you not put a chip in the quilt like they put into pets. My son just had his dog done. He said that it was so small that the vet used a needel and the dog did not even fell it. Our guild was even thinking about purchasing one and for a small fee put chips into members quilt.
In an animal, the chips are covered by skin. If you wash the quilt, wouldn't the chip short out?