Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Been thinking about the lost quilt >

Been thinking about the lost quilt

Been thinking about the lost quilt

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Cindi, I was thinking about that too, but being under the skin is a moist environment isn't it? I think it would be. Someone could contact the organization
http://www.petlink.net/us/cms.spring...q_v=02860936a7

this is the one we've got our cat registered with.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM

What a beautiful label. Love the words.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:40 AM

I think the chips have always been a good idea, but one drawback. Let's say some nice, cute guy finds the quilt. He's never sewn before. How would he know the chip is inside the quilt? It doesn't say anywhere on the quilt that a chip has been inserted.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:39 PM

As mentioned, the QR is a great idea for honest people. And, certainly something we may want to get into the habit of for historical documentation. There are registries for heirloom or antique quilts. Someday our humble "made for aunt Jo" quilts will be antiques.

Gears are turning under the snow on the roof. The tracking technology is there. The challenge is the system of delivery, registration, activation, and cost effectiveness. When talking world class quilts for shows, cost is not great in comparison to loss. However, shipping a baby quilt across the country, across the ocean, or even within the state, sophisticated tracking may be more than a new quilter wants to invest. Most shippers use a bar-code tracking system for packages, but their trucks and shipping containers have locator chips. Perhaps, if enough interest was directed at the shippers, they may develop a locator chip for their customers' products. (Additional fees would apply.)

OK - refine the idea and call, e-mail or visit your favorite shipper. Together, we can make it happen.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by cindi
I think the chips have always been a good idea, but one drawback. Let's say some nice, cute guy finds the quilt. He's never sewn before. How would he know the chip is inside the quilt? It doesn't say anywhere on the quilt that a chip has been inserted.
Maybe we should put it on the label. Just like publicizing cameras or home detection systems. Make them think they are there.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hen3rietta
What a clever idea!
agreed
Old 05-09-2011, 06:24 PM

That is a great idea.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM

I have heard through the years of quilters using the microchip method for their quilts.
The chip is the size of a grain of rice, inserted under the dog or cats skin between the shoulder blades. It does not move through the body nor is it eliminated from the body.
As to the quilts, you would choose where to get the chip, pay the $45 or or whatever they charge now, and when the person installs it in your quilt, you choose a spot, and down in the layers of batting it goes. Unless you are washing your quilt every week or two, it would stay there for the life of the quilt.
Yes you need a scanner. You can buy them from on-line pet supply stores for varying prices. Some are universal scanners, some are specific to the brand chip used. Usually only vets or shelters have them.
I personally like the idea of taking your picture with the quilt as backdrop in your home or yard and a current newspaper with date showing for verification should the need arise.
As to on on-line registry service, I guess they might need to be bonded and insured and charge a fee. After all, they will have your personal information, and you want to protect that too.
I just wish we did not have to be concerned with such things. So sad.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:03 PM

What a fabulous idea.
I will be doing this!
Kirsten
Old 05-10-2011, 01:36 AM

Apparently there is a "National Registry" for these microchipped quilts. I've just spent the last hour looking for it. On the label of one package I finally found that contains a chip, it lists the website "www.chippedquilts.com". I went there, and it seems it doesn't exist anymore. Softexpressions.com doesn't carry the chips anymore. In their description, you register the quilt with the "National Quilt Registry". Couldn't find that online either. Anybody else have any luck finding anything? It certainly doesn't leave me confident that a stranger would try to figure out where this information could be found if I couldn't find it after an hour-long hunt.