Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Been using wrong needles in my longarm >

Been using wrong needles in my longarm

Been using wrong needles in my longarm

Old 02-07-2017, 08:21 AM

Default Been using wrong needles in my longarm

For all you longarmers out there: I didn't don't there was a difference in needles. So inadvertently got some wrong ones. The scarf is flat on the front of the needle. They are embroidery needles. Who knew?

When I bought the LA the sales person said to always use the same brand of needles. Groz-Beckert. So I had a bunch of them from a previous LA. At one point I started using a pack of them. Everything was fine. Stitching was great. Tension was good.

It wasn't until I ran out and ordered some more that I found a problem. The new ones wouldn't stitch. So with a long discussion and many emailed pics the problem was determined. Now the timing is because of using the wrong needles.

I watched a video that made retiming appear simple. Perhaps for someone with better eyesight. I tried and failed.

Hopefully my DH will have a better time of it when he finally gets around to looking at it.

So make sure you're using the correct needles.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Ouch!
I barely escaped the same fate! I traded my original long arm in for a different brand. I had stocked up on needles for the first one. Fortunately, my dealer handled both brands of machine and mentioned that the needles were not compatible. They traded my unopened packages for the correct ones. I probably would not have even thought that they were different if he had not mentioned it, both are Groz-Beckert.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

I always made sure to match all the correct numbers on my needles. I use many different types of threads so buy many different sizes but always Groz-Beckert and always MR style.

Superior has taken the guess work out of it.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...rt-mr-needles/
Old 02-07-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I always made sure to match all the correct numbers on my needles. I use many different types of threads so buy many different sizes but always Groz-Beckert and always MR style.

Superior has taken the guess work out of it.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...rt-mr-needles/
That would've been so helpful. Thanks so much. Better late than never. A learning experience I could've done without.