Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anyone in Columbus,OH--quilt shops/travel info? >

Anyone in Columbus,OH--quilt shops/travel info?

Anyone in Columbus,OH--quilt shops/travel info?

Old 02-07-2017, 04:38 AM

Default Anyone in Columbus,OH--quilt shops/travel info?

I'm traveling to Columbus area next month. Any quilt shops or other places I should see? Also, is the area around the airport nice, safe? Looking for a good hotel--thanks!
Old 02-07-2017, 05:37 AM

I'm not from Columbus, but my daughter lives there and I frequently visit, how long are you going to be there and will you have vehicle to get around ?? If you have a day or two I would defiantly go to these shops.

http://www.redroosterquilts.com
http://www.quilttrends.com

Outside of Columbus but worth the drive

http://www.lunnfabrics.com
http://www.fabricshack.com

I think you'll find most well known hotels near the airport to be safe,and as always be aware of your surroundings etc.... check out Hotels.com if you want a better idea of the hotel and reviews, I have found they are spot on 99.99% of the time...have fun!!
Old 02-07-2017, 08:22 AM

Definitely the Red Rooster, Barbara. Love the shop and very friendly staff. It's, also, located conveniently just off of I -270 that completely circles Columbus. Address: 48 Corbins Mill Dr., Dublin, Oh. It is on the west side of Columbus...airport is on the east side. Not a bad drive at all. The other one I would recomment is the Fabric Shack but it is a little drive from there. It's located in Waynesville, Ohio. Waynesville is a cute little old-timey town. It's in a cute little grey shop that is painted just like there logo. Have never gone there and not found what I needed. Lovely staff that really care. The town is full of antique shops, etc. It's kind of like going back in time...not that they built it to look that way...it simply is an old town they've kept alive. In re to hotels, google Eastown Mall ....it's huge and located right near the airport. Several good restaurants located there and I'm pretty sure a hotel but can't name which one....maybe a Marriott(?). Enjoy your visit!...Wonnie
Old 02-07-2017, 08:58 AM

We visit Columbus every July for a trade show. I love Columbus! It's a "little - big town".

Others gave you quilt shop recommendations (which I never get to visit when I'm there - too busy with trade show) but I can make some good restaurant recommendations.

Schmidt's Sausage Haus and Restaurant is one of many restaurants in the "German Town" area (directly south of downtown - a few blocks south of 71 - between 70 and the river). There is also a candy shop in the same square as Schmidts - wonderful confections!!

In the "Arena District" a MUST place to check out is the "North Market". 1 block west of High street and 1 block south of 670. North Market is a co-op of several different food vendors. Some vendors have food ingredients to buy (fresh meat, cheese (the cheese guy is awesome!), spices, etc), but there are a lot of vendors with fresh prepared food to buy. It's a great place to go when one person in your party wants Italian, but the other wants Polish ... you'll find them both there (and more!), plus plenty of desert vendors!! In the summer they do Farmers Markets and Wine Tastings outside.

There are lots of other good restaurants in the Arena district as well ... Gordon Biersch, Barcelona, Rodizo Grill ... the list is endless!!
Old 02-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Also, you might enjoy German Village, a restored town with a stop at Schmidt's for German food and a stop at the Book Loft with 32 rooms of books. Then there's COSI and the Franklin Park Conservancy. You can google all of these for more info.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Thanks so much for the info. I've never been to OH and this all sounds great.only have 2days so I'll try to do as much as possible.
good to hear from you, Yvonne!