Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beginner quilter

What is the best way to "get started" for a beginner? Does anyone know of any beginner classes near Wilmington or Fayetteville, NC?

Hi gmac and welcome! I learned how to quilt from the quilting for idiots book. :lol: But you can do a search on how to make a quilt and learn that way too. The railfence is a good one to start with, or just squares the same size.

I'm sure someone else could be more helpful than me.

Blog Entries
    There are many good books out there. I was told to get the book " Your first quilt book, or it should be ". Check at your library and see what they have. Maybe look thru the books and see what might work best for you , before you buy one.
    By the way.. HI and Welcome from Northern Indiana
    Sharon

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome from central IL. You may not need classes. Just buy fabric, cruise the internet and start sewing. When you get stuck come back here and someone will pull you through it. If that's not your style, Hunnib lives in Wilmington. She might know of classes.

Also try this link and scroll down. It gives contact info for the Wilmington quilt guild. Someone there should know.

http://www.quiltguilds.com/north-carolina.htm

Blog Entries
    I took a class when I first started but it was from the "Quilts Quilts Quilts" book which really covers quite an array of methods. Do you have a LQS (local quilt store) in your area? I'd check there for classes. Sometimes the community centers here have them too, but I don't know about your area.

Welcome. You could try an internet class as well. Read magazines. I like the book Quilts, Quilts, Quilts! a lot. One of your local libraries probably has several books of interest.

I'm not sure if you listen to podcasts or not but Annie Smith from Quilting Stash does online classes - you could check her out. Her podcasts are very informative.

Valerie
    www.pastimesonline.ca/vals-quilting

Blog Entries
    Here are some great beginner's tutorials that our member ShellyQ put together with great pictures :D :D :D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/6460.page Lesson One

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/7358.page Lesson Two

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/8342.page Lesson Three

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/9327.page Lesson Four

Hi gmac and welcome. I live near Fayetteville and I would suggest calling Loving Stitches Quilt Shop on Ramsey St. Carol who is the owner can probably help you with classes.

I was told to get the book " Your first quilt book, or it should be ".

I have this book and would recommend it. Very helpful. I also have one called Quilting 101 I think. Hardbound with a spiral inside. Also I very helpful book. Got this one at Joann's.

HTH

Sara

There's lots of books out there, lots of help here on board, it's not really "necessary" to take a class. There's a lot of people on board that have never had a "class". Lots of information on the net also, maybe Goggle Quilting 101. Welcome from northeast CA. Glad you joined us. This is a great place for beginner or experienced.

So glad you are joining the ranks of quilter. Welcome from central PA. You are in for great satisfaction as you learn to quilt - by the way, each of us is still learning to quilt.

If you have high speed internet go to this website.
    http://quilterstv.com
    It is a great place to see the experts way of quilting on video for free.
    You can get complete instruction quilting books at the bookstores on sale frequently for 5.98. I have the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting that I got for 5.98 at Borders.
    Eleanor Burns is the best for teaching beginners. http://quiltinaday.com
    Welcome to the world of quilting.

Hello, and welcome from Missouri! A local quilt shop is a good place to ask questions. If there is a guild, there should be lots of people there who will be glad to help. The library is a good place to look at books before you buy, both your local library and a guild library!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from W.v

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    There is an AWESOME quilt shop right there in Fayetteville. I think it is called Loving stitches. Check it out.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    Quote Originally Posted by smdreger
    I was told to get the book " Your first quilt book, or it should be ".

I have this book and would recommend it. Very helpful. I also have one called Quilting 101 I think. Hardbound with a spiral inside. Also I very helpful book. Got this one at Joann's.

HTH

Sara
    i also have this one and it helped me alot.

I did my first quilt from a how to book. I think it was Quilting for Idiots. I wish I had found this site sooner. There is a ton of help here.

Eleanor Burns Quilt in a day books, she does have a beginners book not sure of the name but it walks you thru making a quilt. Her book does not have you make a quilt in a day, it only the name of the book. easy instructions its a good place to start, than you hooked on quilting, your gonna LOVE quilting its addictive!!!

I got started with a class from Hobby Lobby. It taught me the basics, then I found people that quilted and joined their group, they are very helpful. Be careful, once you get started, you'll be another addict like the rest of us. tee hee

I saw a quilt I wanted to try, and I researched the internet and found instructions to make it. I went and purchased some fabric and put it all together. It did not turn out fantastic, but, I sure am proud of my first accomplishment.
    I am now on quilt 5 once my sprained hand heals and I can get back to quilting
    Best to you

Hi Sharon - What I did was go to websites featuring free quilt patterns. I would pick a pattern that was fairly simple and follow the instructions very carefully. Most of them have good instruction sheets.

Hope this helps some.

Hi, welcome to quilting. There is a wonderful quilt shop on Fayetteville called Loving Stitches. I'm sure they have beginner classes. They also have sit and sews where I'm sure the ladies will help you. I live in NY, but when I go see my son in Fayetteville, i never fail to take a trip to Loving Stitches.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    I took a class when I first started but it was from the "Quilts Quilts Quilts" book which really covers quite an array of methods. Do you have a LQS (local quilt store) in your area? I'd check there for classes. Sometimes the community centers here have them too, but I don't know about your area.
    IMHO, that is THE book to get. There is also a "second installment." The books are set up in "lessons." The explanations are very direct and the pictures are great.

OH -- and welcome aboard from South Louisiana.

I haven't been quilting for very long (I'm 59) but I do love to quilt. I do believe I'm obsessed with it. I'm not very good at it but I keep trying. I've bought quite a few books through Amazon.com. Even the newest books have used editions for sale. I bought some of the more popular quilters' books for as little as $4.00, and they have been in great condition. I like to buy the books because I like the pictures, and I have them to refer back to. The internet is also great. Quilt magazines have great tips and almost always have lessons in them. God luck!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast