Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
beginner quilting help needed... >

beginner quilting help needed...

beginner quilting help needed...

Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 PM

When you are using your walking foot, the machine is in control of the stitch and feed of your quilt sandwich, UNLESS there is too much weight hanging on the quilt. I stop very often and puddle the quilt around the machine so there is no weight pulling on the quilt and also keep it as smooth as possible. You don't need to do any pulling or pushing on your quilt. Machine is working just like when you are doing regularlly sewing with the walking foot acting like feed dogs on top of the quilt so all will be fed through evenly. Sounds like you have drag on the quilt or are helping it too much. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be, I can't free motion to save my life. Never have been able to do anything tha takes any co-ordination.
Robin in TX
Old 12-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Agree with the others. Also, check your foot and thread tension and turn down the speed if you can...do make a sample, ripping a larger piece is really hard.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:28 PM

I have not tried machine quilting yet, (cannot afford classes rite now) but do not let it discourage you. It takes time and patience. I still tie or hand quilt. Just started really doing piece quilting this year and I am 76. so...keep at it......
Old 12-07-2011, 04:30 PM

to all the experienced quilters, can someone post a picture of a properly attached walking foot. That would be a big help. I am very much a "sight learner"
Old 12-08-2011, 06:10 AM

Don't let this discourage you. Sounds like the other quilters have given you the best advice. It takes a little practice.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I tackled it again...better this time although not perfect but I got all my seams sewn together. Class got delayed due to weather until tonight and we will finish it with the binding tonight. It's not perfect by any definition but it's not horrible either. I still have some variation in the stitch length but knowing it was me and what I could be doing wrong helped alot. I even did some free motion quilting on the outside borders.....seemed ackward to do and again not perfect but I atleast I did it for the first time. Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Surfergirl;4752761]I'm not an expert and have only been quilting for a short time and am still learning, but if you're doing free motion, you need a free motion foot or a darning foot. A walking foot can be used for SID or straight-line stitching. Hang in there, it takes a lot of practice and you will improve.[/QUOTE

I was wondering about this also. Do any of you free motion quilt using your walking foot? I have never tried or heard of this before, and I've been quilting for a few years.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE=My time;4763160]
Originally Posted by Surfergirl View Post
I'm not an expert and have only been quilting for a short time and am still learning, but if you're doing free motion, you need a free motion foot or a darning foot. A walking foot can be used for SID or straight-line stitching. Hang in there, it takes a lot of practice and you will improve.[/QUOTE

I was wondering about this also. Do any of you free motion quilt using your walking foot? I have never tried or heard of this before, and I've been quilting for a few years.
No, you can't free motion with a walking foot.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:19 PM

The walking foot was used for the decorative stitch I did on the seams and the attempted SID. I was having problem with just quilting on the seams. I later did the free motion quilting on the border using the darning foot. Didn't mean to confuse everyone.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Make sure you aren't pulling your fabric through and you're letting the feed dogs pull it through, just guide it. I don't change the stitch at all, but try using chip clips or clothes pins to roll up the sides and make it easier maneuver.