Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Beginning FMQ - from a beginner!

Wow, some great advice here! I'm going to print it out, and read it again and again! This board is the greatest!

Wow! Many thanks for all the wonderful information on this. Thank you.

I am a FMQ newbie, too. I have just finished my first FMQ baby quilt and was amazed at the time it took to do it as opposed to hand quilting. I am making baby quilts for our local battered women's shelter and can really turn them out this way. Still working on getting my stitches totally even, but it's getting there. Good luck and much happy practice!

Blog Entries
    I'm only four or five quilts ahead of a total newbie, but I'd like to add a backpack with weights in it to help with the shoulder pain. I don't need it anymore - new muscles, maybe, but it was a big help at first.

I don't like to talk about anyone's advice, but no leather needle. It punches a permanent triangular hole in the fabric.

A yard of plastic draped over the bed of the machine (cut a hole for the needle) will help the quilt move easily and gloves are necessary for me.

Muscle to brain memory is important - hense the drawing with a marker on a white erase board or on a rough surface with the index finger of your dominant hand. I did that yesterday to imprint the flower I want on my brain so I don't have to mark my quilt.

My advice: Just do it. The first stitch is the hardest.

The timing of this thread is perfect. I've done lots of practicing, and felt I was ready to "go for it" on a baby quilt. I'm not real happy with my progress. I know I'm really critical of myself, but I think I don't like it so far. Thanks to ALL of you for your comments and tips. I may do some play time with a seam ripper on some of it, but I'll take your comments and forge ahead. Thanks for starting this thread!!

I have never drawn my quilting pattern on my quilt.....I just wing it. I do draw it on paper to figure out what I want and then maybe just trace with my finger to get the pattern into my brain. My favorite "go to" pattern for baby quilts is hearts. I'll try to post a picture. I thought I made it up but I saw my mom used the same pattern with her hand quilting. My quilt I made in a beginning quilting class 3 yrs ago is still waiting to be quilted. I didn't want to ruin it. Maybe this summer that quilt will finally get finished.Name:  IMG_2364.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  1.13 MB

Blog Entries
    I don't see any triangular holes in this quilt.

Name:  ann's quilt for living room.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  194.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I don't see any triangular holes in this quilt.

Name:  ann's quilt for living room.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  194.0 KB
    Ann, your quilt is lovely and I'm glad there's no damage to it, but a leather needle does have a triangular point designed to cut a very small hole.

I apologize if I have offended you in any way.
    Judy

Love those hearts! I was taught to "Steal only from the best" and I'm stealing that one!
    So many quilts, so little time.

Mu biggest fear with motion quilting is ruining a great quilt............... There is so much great advice here and I know I will give it a try again........ Thank you one and all for posting such great advice.

I have really enjoyed reading all the tips and advice. I'm still in the practice stage and can use all the knowledge gathered here.
    jean

Great tips in this thread! I'm just starting by practicing on cheapy solid sandwiches. I've been watching this Missouri star quilt co video and it's a good intro. Pretty basic, but gives a good overview. I like how she stresses that perfection is not required. I also like that she isn't using a machine that costs thousands.
    http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/beg...hine-quilting/

Quote Originally Posted by luana View Post
    My suggestion is to put on some music. It is relaxing and helps to keep a steady speed moving the fabric. Enjoy!
    I better not try to FMQ with music. I usually have Abba or the BeeGees on. LOL.......Can't you just see it now..........

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    One note about needles. Last time I FMQ'd I was having trouble with my regular needle breaking (I went through aboutg 5 in a 20 minute stretch). I'm not sure if it was the quality of the needle or me, but I switched to a leather needle and that worked great.
    I had this prob. last yr. til I begged for help from the grp. They taught me to use a very strong needle & that solved my prob. Now my big prob. is tension. No matter how much I work with it & keep changing them, when I have to use diff. colors in bobbin & top, one color comes through. I'm at a loss now.

Blog Entries
    WOW!!! I think I might try again. I have tried to FMQ and it was a total mess. I know it takes a lot of practice. You Ladies have given me encouragement to try again. I so want to do a Baby Quilt. Thanks again, love this thread.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Great thread with a lot of great advice! I have only started practicing FMQ, and it's going to take a lot more practice before I attempt to do it on this quilt. I am going to SITD on most of it; but wanted to FMQ the borders and sashing. I will come back and reread this thread often (cuz I forget a few things these days). Thank you all for posting such great advice!!!!
    ​Krysti

I just turned my tension all the way up to 8 (I usually do 3.5) and the difference was A.MA.ZING. No more eyelashes on the back. I need drop my machine into a table next.mor rewire my 15-91 to try since its in a cabinet already.

for those of you that suggest drafting chairs...sounds great but how do you reach the foot control? I am only 5-2 would i be able to reach the foot pedal?

some great advice for newbies & oldies!!

Quote Originally Posted by susan... View Post
    for those of you that suggest drafting chairs...sounds great but how do you reach the foot control? I am only 5-2 would i be able to reach the foot pedal?
    I am only 5'2" also and I use an office chair at it's lowest, and sit at a home made table that is 26.5" high. This is comfortable for me. When I have a large quilting project I move my machine to a larger table that is 2.5" higher and that difference is noticed, but I adjust ok. No way can I use a drafting chair. My feet dangle. My quilting frame is too high for my comfort so I just stand. I have tried using a stool and drafting chair, but end up pushing them asside and just stand. My feet need to be on the floor or they go numb.
    Last edited by DebbyT; 05-22-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    I have been working on fmq for a while now. I don't have any real advice, other than when I go to do a project, I have begun doing a practice sandwich of the fabric and thread I plan to use. I don't know why--but if I don't, tension issues seem to erupt!

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    My first tip is to try quilting standing up. I find that I can quilt much longer this way without my shoulders and back stiffening up. I place my sewing machine on my cutting table and find that to be a very good height.

Second tip is to make an inexpensive styrofoam "surround" for the machine on the cutting table. There are some Youtube videos on how to do this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14govA4pIM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS25v3ZTk0

Third tip is to arrange a table or ironing board to the left of your quilting area to hold part of the quilt. This really helps spread the weight of the quilt.
    I have also found that the larger the quilt I am quilting, the more I need that "surround" on my machine. I have even used books and magazines to build up around my machine to get the sewing bed even with the desk. Of course that was when I had no idea what I was doing, but it worked.

I am one that tends to jump right into a project without thinking about it. I will practice a little bit on a small sample to get the tension right, but then it is onto the quilt it self. I also started with a meander and am now just starting other designs. I find it very relaxing and tend to zone out the kids when they are around. Which can be good and bad at the same time

Have fun, take it one step at a time, enjoy the process and don't sweat the little things.
    Julie

Ok I've all heard about bring the thread up when you begn quilting, but never about ending your stitches. What do you do with the thread then? Bring them both to the front or just cut them off, one on the bottom and one on the top? Please advise as to the proper way.
    Roz

Quote Originally Posted by Joselake View Post
    Ok I've all heard about bring the thread up when you begn quilting, but never about ending your stitches. What do you do with the thread then? Bring them both to the front or just cut them off, one on the bottom and one on the top? Please advise as to the proper way.

I was taught to have appx 2-3" of thread at the beginning and end and pull the bobbin thread through, tie a knot close to the fabric, then take a hand needle that has a split/open end, and put needle through the same hole the thread is in and pull the knot inside the sandwich, pulling the needle about an inch across and back out. Then cut the exposed thread. This way the thread ends are secure and hidden. - Try to weave the thread through the batting so it does not show through the fabric. This can be an issue with white/light colored fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by susan... View Post
    Obviously, if it doesn't work for you, then you wouldn't go there!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast