Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! >

Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!!

Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!!

Old 11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

My first quilt teacher was me. Everything I did in my class was perfect!

I want to put a smile face on but can't any more, there are none I can find, though others have!. Don't know how! sad!
Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
I taught my daughter like this. She just wanted to sew and did not think that 1/4" seam was important. So I let her try to make one block HER way...after that..she ripped, and ripped and ripped...and NOW...she can make a perfect 1/4" seam in her sleep. I was really proud of her when she phoned one day just to say THANK YOU...because of that perfection on seams, she was able to quickly strip piece a rail fence baby quilt for a friend with NO pattern. She still has her first seam ripper and says she rarely uses it, because she knows her machine and it's 1/4" seam line!

Sometimes...striving for perfect is NOT a bad thing! And if you don't learn that seam early on..while doing the simple seams, then trying to figure out what went wrong on your more complicated blocks later will only be more frustrating!

I teach beginners on paper first..then fabric...and only straight bar blocks..till they get that seam down pretty close to perfect. It really does matter!
I tried teaching a class you all said...all nicey, nice, nothing is wrong, do it as you can..and I got royally pinned to the wall by two ladies who were seriously upset that their projects did NOT meet their standards. SO..no more playing nice. You want to learn a skill with a machine..be it a sewing machine or bandsaw then learn to do it right the first time...even if it means undoing it...at least in sewing you get that 2nd, 3rd of 10th try to get it right..in welding, pottery, woodworking,, you don't get those chances! AND if you are paying to learn this craft, why wouldn't you want to learn to do the BEST?
I agree that the correct techniques need to be taught and learned, but I think a thoughtful teacher can be kind and patient. But being short tempered or disrespectful doesn't make anything better. And then there is the difficult student in almost all classes the one who can't seem to comprehend and or one who will dominate the teachers attention. A skilled teacher will know how to manage these class time-stealers. That's why teaching is not easy and not everyone who is good at a skill is a good teacher.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:01 PM

A person who knows how to teach would not criticize her student in front of everyone else. I always feel that the teacher has "got above her raisin'" and has forgotten when she was a rank beginner. I won't take that from any teacher now; I have learned to express myself and let the teacher know that she or he is wrong. I am left-handed and dyslexic and I had a teacher call me a whiner and a trouble maker in a class (a nationally known teacher, at that) but I soon set her straight and we were on good terms after that.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Panchita View Post
I disagree that perfection is the primary aim in quilting. Enjoyment is the primary aim in quilting (I'm assuming no-one here quilts because without it their family would not have bed clothes).

Sure, aim for perfection, there is nothing wrong with that, but not to the exclusion of everything else.

A good teacher should be able to tell the difference between someone who is doing their best, not getting perfection, but is OK with the learning experience, and someone who is not getting perfection and is therefore getting discouraged.

For a beginners class encouragement should be the order of the day - whether that is in relation to the 'can't see it from a galloping horse' category or the 'try again but do it this way' category.

It doesn't sound as if your SIL is getting the encouragement she needs, so I would vote for finding another class and/or send her here!!!
I agree with you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:30 PM

Hoo boy, classes can be a challenge sometimes. Remember, you are going there to learn something new.
Believe it or not in only two classes of all the classes that I have taken in my life, I was better than the teacher-
one was in binding a quilt, (my binding was smoother, straighter and faster.) and the other was a color and a creative art quilt....
I too am a problem student, usually far behind the others, I think because I sew slowly -especially when I am learning something new. I had soooooo much trouble with paperpiecing, I took several classes.. Finally I learned. First piece = right side up and all the rest = right side down! (Truly -That was the secret to sucess!) LOL!
I hope you laughed! jpthequilter
Old 11-07-2011, 08:37 PM

You will find that sometimes members of a club can be trying for new learners. They can be stiff and unresponive or stiff and critical, and only talk to each other. The only thing I can say is - keep quietly asking questions. Every club has a kind member, who will help you.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM

Just because someone knows all the ins and outs of something does not mean they can pass that knowledge along to others. Sad for their students!
Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 PM

Thumbs up Where did the smileys go? Please - how?

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
My first quilt teacher was me. Everything I did in my class was perfect!

I want to put a smile face on but can't any more, there are none I can find, though others have!. Don't know how! sad!
I too looked for the smiley faces. Once I found some somewhere maybe the PMs?, but they didn't work, yet.
Please, put a little devil in the list, It is mighty useful sometimes. Jeannie

Ooooops - sorry, there they are! Under here ! Jeannie
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM

...and they didn't work? What did I do wrong? and they went away - none for this reply.....Sigh.....
Jeannie
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 PM

I was always taught that if your 1/4" wasn't perfect on your machine, to just be sure you used that machine from the beginning to the end of the project since all machines measure out a little differently.