Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! >

Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!!

Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!!

Old 11-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Yes, this. As long as all the seams are consistent. The problem comes in when you swap. Can she push the guard on her foot in ward a little or set her needle to the right?

Originally Posted by jnagy1206 View Post
My quilting instructor always told me that it was okay to be wrong with your seams as long as you are consistently wrong with the entire project. Then it all fits together, just smaller. With time I have gotten so much better with my 1/4" seams.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:48 PM

We have been very blessed to have wonderful teachers at our LQS - usually they hand out two scrap pieces of fabric
2-1/4" wide by 3" long, have you stitch them together and press open, your scraps should measure 2" accross - this is a great way to test your machine for 1/4" seem accuracy before starting your project.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by lynnegreen View Post
My first quilt teacher was like that, and, unfortunately my Mom was in the class and she does not, I repeat, does not follow directions well. The teacher was beside herself. She wasn't much of a warm and cuddly person to begin with, had just published a quilt book that became very popular, and admitted she was only teaching the class because she had commited to this one last one. By the time the six or so weeks of class were over you could tell she could barely look at my Mom, as well as another lady who was a bit of a challenge as well. On the last nigth of class someone asked if there were any guilds or clubs for quilting and the teachers response was "yes, but they are not for people like this group, they are for real quilters". I just about gave up on quilting, but, I already knew I was bitten with the bug, and fortunately, my Mom convinced me that we should try another class with a different teacher. She was right, the next class was a dream, despite my Mom being the problem child...... again...LOL
I can tell that I would really like your mom
Old 11-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I think that it is good to show an excellent example of what the students should strive for.

I also think it is good to show how to do it by example.

After that, what the students do - unless they ask - is up to them.

I'm not in favor of making a student redo a seam over and over - especially for a beginning beginner's class- but I'm not in favor of the instructor saying "that's wonderful - when there is lots of room for improvement.

One can say things like "Good try . . . . " "Next time, try to . . . . "

It is also good for an instructor to show how a boo-boo can be salvaged. That may be one of the most important things to learn!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:22 PM

Cool quilt police

One of the most positive things about this board is the encouragement one gets. We all strive to do our best at quilting as it is expensive and time consuming. It is a learning experience, like anything else practice improves us. All our first are less than perfect. There are those that do perfect everytime, hooray for them I celebrate their endeavors. Tell your Mom Keep on quilting!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:33 PM

help her out by telling her about the 1/4 foot for her machine, this will help her not get frustrated. I used to live in Tucson and it was a wonderful place to learn to quilt. Not the same here at all!!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:38 PM

I probably would have burst into tears!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:44 PM

I think if that teacher wanted an exact 1/4" seam, she should have helped every one of the students find thier 1/4" and marked it for them on thier machine. I took a class with set in seams an that was the first thing we did in class.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 PM

I guess I think differently than most of you. If the teacher is nice about it I don't see anything wrong with ripping out seams that aren't right. The quicker you learn where a quarter inch is the easier the whole quilt top will be. Why learn to do it wrong and then re-teach yourself to do it right? Now if the teacher is mean about it, that's a different story.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh my gosh, how sad! Be gone with the quilting snobs!!!!! I'm a new quilter and I'm very shaky with my "quilting" confidence. If I had a critical teacher, I'd be lost. Thank goodness for the quilting angels out there to help us!