Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bendable Light for Sewing Machine

I agree that the bendable light is wonderful if you get the electric one. There is also a bendable battery operated light that isn't worth a flip.

I got the good one from J. Huttle and I love it! It has a bendy arm and plugs in. I was using an Ott light but it was casting shadows. With the little light, I can bend it down and point it right at the needle on my sewing machine. I use two machines, am going to have to get another light. Thanks for the link, Alice, to the less expensive one. I paid $35.00 for mine, don't know what brand it is, though.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have one as described. It is fantastic, nice and bright and you can bend it to shine exactly where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    I've been wondering about these myself. I have a computerized machine, so anything with a magnet to go on my machine scares the hey out of me. Would like to know if it has been a problem for anyone?
    Absolutely no problems with magnets and my computerized machine. That issue was resolved eons ago.

I have one and paid around $29 for mine. I don't know what I'd do without it. I also have Ott lights but cannot have that beam of light right on your needle with an Ott light as I can with the bendable light. It has made all the difference in the world in my stitching. Hope you can find one at a less expensive price point. Good luck. I don't think you can go wrong with one of these lights.

Blog Entries
    I wanted a bendable light but the cost is more than I can justify right now. And I wasn't to set on glueing/sticking some thing onto my machine. I then started looking at desk lamps and found an awesome, brand new halogen lamp at Goodwill for $2.97. It has a heavy but small base and the neck bends and holds it's place perfectly. I can now sew in our family room and still have a excellent light to see by.

Quote Originally Posted by blossom808
    I heard that there is a small fishing light that you can tape on your sewing machine. Its bendable. I bought mine at wal mart for 4.00 dollars. Its in the hardware dept. Its small and it does bend. I love it.
    You definitely came up with a brilliant idea and the price is right :thumbup: thank you!

I have one of the stick on bendable electric lights. It works good except I often find that the beam of light is just too bright. Also, the glare and reflections can make it difficult to work with.

Was interested in the battery ones, for the convenience of no electrical wiring and plug in required ... til I read this thread!

Curious about the fishing lights ... can someone tell me more what these are? perhaps even show us a picture? Please? and Thanks!

I love mine.

I bought one at a quilt shop on sale. I really like it. I will be looking for the one at Walmart for my other machines. I bought one of those from Joann', but haven't tried it. Doesn't sound like I have to hurry to do so.....

Yes, they are wonderful and shine right where you need it most. Scout around and see if you can find one cheaper. NO magnetic items near my machines. They use sticky back base to attach, and what's even better you can purchase additional base to remove light and attach to something else.

I got mine at Harbor Freight for about $5. It runs on watch batteries, is bendable, and I attached it to my machines with double back tsape. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Floralfab
    Does anyone use a bendable light that attaches to your sewing machine. I saw one in a quilting catalogue and was wondering if they were any good. The one I saw was $40.00. I do have an ott light by my machine but this little light looks like it will shine right down on the needle area. Any help will be appriciated. Thanks.
    I bought one for $40 through either Keepsake Quilting or Nancy's Notion's. ( I forget which.) It's metal and has a nice long moveable, bendable arm to adjust it where ever you want to light up your direct sewing area. It has a wonderful mounting bracket to place it on the side of the machine and little clips to attach the cord to the back of the machine, so it's not hanging in your project. I LOVE IT!!!! It helps me see so much better as it is very nice and bright. Just bought a new machine so I ordered a second mounting bracket for it. The only thing I wish was different is the bendable arm is not quite as tight as I would like it to be. The motion of the machine causes the light to kind of slide down after awhile and you have to pull it back up to light up your needle area. But that aside. . . I STILL LOVE IT!! And would buy it again in a heart beat. I'd post a picture of mine, but right now it's on my old machine and I lent it to my friend's 10 year old daughter to practice with as I am teaching her to quilt and I didn't take the light off before I gave her the machine. But I Give it and A!!!

My friend has one on her machine and she got more for other machines. I just have a little halogen light by my presser foot area. My daughter got me a magnifier for my Bernina and it's very helpful.

Vat
    I bought one for a friend and she loved it so much I decided to get me one. I did and I am not as happy as she seemed to be. I do like the way you can direct the light where you want it but I don't like the mount and the light gets in my wayand I have trouble seeing around it. I have been thinking about one of the battery operatored ones, they seem to be a little smaller and no power wire to have to deal with.

Blog Entries
    I purchased one at Joanns with a 50% off coupon - got it for $7.50 - you can attach it anywhere to the machine with the double side tape it comes with, then bend it to put the light where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by SewAlice
    Here's a link for a better price ($24.97).
    http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/...FRXCsgodazrcvQ
    OOPS!! Didn't see this before posting my answer! That's the exact light I have, and I paid $39.95 for it and it was worth every penny! Just wish I had seen this link before! I LOVE IT!!

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    I have one and I love it. These eyes of mine are getting old! I got an extra attachment so I can move it to another machine.

I have a clamp-on Ott light for my machine, and I LOVE it, and because it's a clamp on it doesn't take up any valuable work space. I'm able to easily adjust the light to where I need it. I actually just ordered a gooseneck Ott light for my table in the living room for hand quilting. GREAT price at $19.99. I really think a good light is essential to prevent eye strain and headaches. I can't quilt any length of time without it!

Next time you're in JoAnn's or Michael's go to the floral department. They have little LED lights that are about 1" square and give an amazing amount of light in a concentrated spot. They are meant to put in floral displays and can be used in water. I stuck one right down at the base of the machine arm to shine on the needle. These lights are disposable, come in colors but for this purpose I bought white. There's a little tab on the side to turn it on and off and it seems to last for a long, long time.

I have the bendable Brite Lite and really like it. I can really zero in on the stitches. I also have one of the cheaper lights and am not sure where I got it. It is OK, but the Brite Lite is great.

I purchased a 24" bendable electric light that extends from a base. 9.99 at Ikea. They have many options to choose from.

i have one and love it, the only problem is you have to put the cord somewhere, they give you little hooks to put on your machine to thread the cord thru, but i found these broke off pretty easily, so now the cord just lies there and sometimes it gets tangled with the fabric if you are not careful, but i love the light being right there........

I have one and absolutely love it! It is removable so when I cart my machine around I can cover it and then put the light back on when I set up my machine. Best investment I've made in a long time. :lol:

I LOVE my bendable bright light! Don't know what I did without it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast