Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Benefits of Sideways Stitch? >

Benefits of Sideways Stitch?

Benefits of Sideways Stitch?

Old 10-03-2017, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chris Denno View Post
I wanted this stitch so I bought a used Bernina 1630, which was TOL maybe 20 (???) years ago, just prior to the 180, which had the embroidery module we know today.. The machine can sew small figures, teddy bears, trees, approx. 1 1/2" wide. And it was also possible to buy "Keys" with additional wide designs.

The TOL Pfaff, 14??, had a similar feature, sideways stitching, with cute designs built in. It also came with a "tray" that enabled the user to design additional wide stitches. I remember when Pfaff was one of the best sewing machine companies....before it was bought by SVP....oh...the "good old days".....
I think you might be talking about the Pfaff 1475CD--I still have this machine, barely used. It has the Creative Designer that connects to machine to transfer design after you have drawn it on gridded cards. It has many decorative stitches but no designs built in (that I would consider"designs") but deco stitches of leaves, flowers, etc. It has the IDT foot also. I loved everything about my machine but the buttonholes--they never stitched out the same size! I still have it 'under cover'.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I am way behind. This is the first I have heard of a machine sewing sideways.
Same here! what is a sideways stitch??
Old 10-03-2017, 07:57 AM

your machine can sew to left, to right, forward, reverse, diagonally. Very helpful when item is difficult to turn--like for patches? and such.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
My Brother Innovis 650Q has the sideways sewing feature, but what sold me on it is the needle threader and the ability to sew four alphabets in many different sizes. To be honest I have not found a use for the sideways sewing yet.
When it was demonstrated to me, the sideways stitch was for machine quilting. You are using a quilting foot and you just decide which direction the fabric moves, and it just keeps doing the pattern until you stop. (Ex. You can enlarge a simple letter C, and if you move the fabric right you have ocean waves quilted across your fabric with minimal shoulder strain. An enlarged question mark can be used along a seam to get a feather effect, etc.) A real wonder tool for those of us with arthritis. Fire that puppy up and play. See what it can do. Have a ball. Don’t forget the glass of wine to for medicinal purposes of course, got keep your shoulders good and relaxed you know.......

Last edited by madamekelly; 10-04-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry View Post
Hi - I am looking at getting a new machine and tried out a Brother that does a sideways stitch. I'd love to hear what you think this feature is good for, particularly when used in quilt making.
Thank you!
I have a Bernina 1630 circa 1994 that has this feature. It can sew in 16 directions like the directions of the compass. I have used it in mending, but never thought of the other ideas presented here. Now I'll have to try it!
Old 10-04-2017, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I am way behind. This is the first I have heard of a machine sewing sideways.
Me too! Does a sideways stitch go left to right instead of forwards and backwards?
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16 PM

I also have a Bernina 1630 with directional stitching that is over 20 yrs old - I absoutely love this machine!!! Does so many wonderful things!!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
That would be very handy for me. My husband crawls on his hands and knees whenever he works in the landscaping, which is often. I just put new knees in his pants every couple of months. I don't mind doing that, but it sure would be easier if I could go sideways inside those pant legs.
I have seen pants with a pocket on the knees to hold a kneepad, and I always said I was going to add that to a pair of jeans by ripping out a side-seam and redesigning the jeans. As for sideways stitching, isn't that what you do with a darning foot for thead painting?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
That would be very handy for me. My husband crawls on his hands and knees whenever he works in the landscaping, which is often. I just put new knees in his pants every couple of months. I don't mind doing that, but it sure would be easier if I could go sideways inside those pant legs.
When I patch pant legs, I undo the inner seam so they are flat. There isn't any of that double stitching on the inside seam like there is on the outside seam, so its easy to sew up again.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 AM

Someone at a Janome LQS said that on the Janome if you use the sideways stitches it is hard on the machine. Anyone know anything about that? If so, would that apply to other machines as well; I imagine it's the same mechanism.