Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lone Star Help Please >

Lone Star Help Please

Lone Star Help Please

Old 10-05-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Lone Star Help Please

I'm attempting the Moda Bakeshop Lone Star quilt made with a Jelly Roll. I thought all was going well but I've hit a snag. I starched my JR strips to start. Got my diamond points matching up, so carried on making all my star diamonds. The pattern instructs you to make 15" and 11" squares which you sub cut diagonally to make triangles to attach to the outside points of the diamonds, in a no-Y-seam method. My problem is that I of course ended up with some stretch and the triangles are too small for the edges of the diamonds. Now what can I do to make my Star work out? I wondered if I cut larger triangles that I could trim square if that would be the answer to getting it finished? I'm thinking I need to average my diamond sizing to get consistency, easing out any differences between them. Will this all work do you think?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM

See if you have them in the right place. I've have had the same problem and would find that I had turned the triangles wrong. When sewing bias seams, place the bias on the bottom next to the feed dogs. I know that with this pattern all are on the bias so, put the largest piece [the sub cut triangles] on the bottom. Hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:10 PM

Ok, so here are my measurements...
Triangles are Right Angled with one 11" on two sides with the long edge 15 5/8", the second is 15" on two sides with the long edge being 21 1/8". On one side of the diamond on half of the diamonds I need to use the long edge of the 11" triangles on the biased edge of the diamond which averages 15 1/4", half on the straight of grain edge which averages 14 3/4". On the big triangles I'm to use the 15" edge of the triangle on half on the right side, which again is averaged at 15 1/4" and on the other half on the left, again measuring on average 14 3/4". So I'm thinking half of the small triangles will work on the left side, half of the large will work on the right side and four of each need an inch or so added to them to make them work at all.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Gay

Would it help if you re-sewed some of the seams of the diamonds a fraction, on the sides that are too large for the triangles. Perhaps the diamonds may not be the exact size needed if the strips ended up a tad wider after washing etc. Just a thought, otherwise your suggestion of cutting larger triangles and trimming to fit after sewing in seems the best option.

Last edited by Gay; 10-05-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:02 PM

I've spoken with the pattern writer, who mentioned 1/4" vs scant 1/4" seam allowances. I used the same scant seam allowance I always do, meaning the outcome after sewing a seam results it losing 1/4" in the size of the finished piecing. She had changed her seam allowance from 1/4" to scant 1/4" at the end, which I have never come across, so the end result was her finished Star diamonds came out smaller than mine (and I would guess not a true 1/4" seam allowance, according to my understanding). Anyway, she suggested recutting my squares/triangles an inch or so bigger as they are trimmed to square after the fact anyway. Next time I'll know where/how to check my finished size to get what I need for the background pieces.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:58 AM

I am not home but I believe you measure the diamond and there is a calculation. I will try to remember and look it up for you after work