Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina 440QE

Bernina 440QE

Can someone tell me if this is a fair and/or good deal? I currently own a Bernina 1260 that I love but I would like to upgrade too. I don't want to spend $$$ on a new Bernina and found a 440QE for $1000. It is a one owner machine that has been serviced once in the 6 years she has owned it. Any thoughts? Is there another comparable machine for less? It doesn't have to be a Bernina but I am partial to the brand because of my 1260.

I do all types of sewing but I find myself more and more attracted to quilting.

Thank you!
    Emily

Power Poster
    I paid about $3000 for my 440 (ten hrs. ago?)and I love it. My dealer considers the B440 a real work horse. If she is just upgrading then I would seriously consider it. Check with her Bernina dealer since they would be aware if any issues and you will need a B dealer to get it serviced.

I have a 440QQE and it has been reliable and I plan to keep it for as long as I can.

I also have one about the same age and same service record. Go for it, one of the best Berninas ever made. And $1000 is a fair price, especially if it has the BSR (stitch regulator)
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I bought the 440QE (with BSR and embroidery module) new in 2007, soon after I started quilting. I've been very happy with the machine. I used the BSR until I got a longarm, but I never use the embroidery unit. (Just not that into machine embroidery. Shouldn't have bought it but it seemed like a good idea at the time.) It sounds like a good price if the machine is working well and especially if it includes the BSR. I'm surprised that it has only been serviced once though. Also I thought the 440's had been replaced by another model earlier than 6 years ago, but maybe not.

I don't have any input about the machine but I just wanted to say Welcome to the board and hope you enjoy being here!
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

Here is a Babylock Soprano in about the same price range. It's got a much bigger throat space for quilting, auto thread cutter, and tons of decorative stitches if you want them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BABY-LOCK-S...-/264026123010
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Love my Bernina!

Suz
    Yes. Yes. Yes. A real workhorse. Have traded up since the 400QE but remember how well she performed. You will not be sorry. Go for it.

Sounds like the same age as my 440QE and every time I think about upgrading I think why. I have mine cleaned every year because I sew over a million stitches each year and every time it comes back it sews like I it time the first time I took it out of the box. I also have it cleaned each year because a good friend of mine is a Bernina tech. I have the embroidery module but only use it one or twice a year to personalize something for the holidays, some years I don't even use it. I recently sewed on a new Bernina which is going on sale shortly for $1000 and while it is a nice machine with no BSR it is definitely not my 440 QE. I have always loved it. I am guessing since they don't clean it often it wasn't used much. Good luck in deciding.

I have the same machine and I have been told it is one of the best. It seems I bought mine about 10yrs or so and it was 3000$ I have had very good luck with mine and it has the bsr and \Embordary modgule also but I never used that because I have a Mac computer and you needed a PC. Go for it and hope it has several feet with it.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

I actually have 2 440 QE's! My DH wanted me to have one to keep set up at home and one to travel with. I love mine and will always keep at least one of them. Have never had any major issues and like others here, I do not use the embroidery unit. Just not into that.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. It sounds like I should definitely get. Very excited. Thank you again.

I have had a 440 for probably a decade. Gift from DH. If you can get it with the BSR for $1000, grab it. I think we paid that for the BSR alone.

Don't know that I will ever need another machine.
    "Accomplishment is a consequence of effort" -- Michael Crichton

I just also recently bought at 440QE on ebay for $960 with the BSR but no embroidery unit so as long as it has the BSR it’s a good deal. You should ask how many stitches it has on it. Mine had over 2mil. & my friend, a Bernina tech said it was still an excellent deal. They usually go for $1,200 to $1,300 minimum with the BSR, & with or without the embroidery module. You can pick up an embroidery module later for a few hundred $’s if needed. If it’s got both, you’ve really got a steal.
    My Bernina tech recommends that I brush out my machine including under the feed dogs & add a drop of oil every 3rd bobbin I use so try to follow that. The machine has been a joy to sew on compared to my Viking Husqvarna Platinum 770 I had before. I’m assured it’ll last me for many, many years to come. Good luck with your purchase!

Blog Entries
    PM me if you ever want to sell your 1260, I just love that machine. Hope it's not in the near future though. Presently, I have to rebuild a house hit in N.C. from hurricane florence. Enjoy your new machine and happy quilting.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Thank you for all of your helpful feedback. The 440 is being serviced by the owner so I am waiting to see if it checks out. In the meantime, I have found a 750QE for the price of 999. Should I consider that one instead of the 440? I appreciate your help. Thanks!