Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 820 info, looking to buy >

Bernina 820 info, looking to buy

Bernina 820 info, looking to buy

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 AM

still no word from the sellers this morning
Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM

It sounds like a scam. Why wouldn't they answer your eMail if it was legit. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Sue
Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by fatquarters
still no word from the sellers this morning
Move on. And be glad you've still got the $3K.

Do you mind sharing the link to the ad (here or via PM)? I'm curious.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:11 AM
MTS
Banned

OK, fatquarters did share with me the source of the ad.

And, I have to say, my normally distrustful, watchful, judging self ...wasn't totally put off by the ad. Surprising. It was a combination of the site/location/wording/pictures, etc.

If that ad was nearer to me, I would definitely have followed up on it. I actually would have traveled a couple of hours to check it out.

So that said, the original questions was what should fq should ask about it - if the seller ever calls her back.

As the closest I've ever been to one was at a show (where I drooled), I'll let others address specific 820 issues.

Here is a list of things that come to mind:

Looking at the pictures, I don't see a walking foot or 1/4" foot so you'd have to buy that on your own. That's around $200.

I'd want to know where the machine was bought, last time it was serviced, and ALL the paperwork from the original purchase (if they still had, and they should).

And, if you don't already know, call your local Bernina dealer to see what you'd be covered for if you brought in a machine you didn't buy from them. I just say that because I've been standing in a store when the owner told some people certain things wouldn't be covered if they bought the machine elsewhere. You need to understand what's included the warranty BEFORE you buy it. Somethings are lifetime covered by BERNINA, but that could be just the parts and you'd have to pay the labor.

Don't go alone. Since it's a local pickup and I'm sure you'll be paying cash (or via money order), you'll really have no recourse if something goes wrong. So you need to be sure and safe.

Bring some thread and fabric scraps so you can play - just in case they have none. You never know.

I hope he calls you back so you can get to the next step.
I'll be looking forward to how this pans out.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:49 PM

Update, In my first message yesterday I asked reason for selling, name of the dealer where purchased so I could check for future service, and If and how much warranty is remaining.

Today on my lunch break, I sent a second message, asking for a reply.

Still no word. BTW, it will be a 4 hr drive to check it out, so I won't go unless I am pretty sure. Thanks for the heads up on the walking foot, Are they that much for these machines?? Aren't they built in like the duel feed on the phaff??
Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 PM

NO WARRANTY for used machines period. Warranties do not transfer with used machines. It has the dual feed, but a walking foot is needed for quilting 3 layers on the 820 which is $150.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Wow, I hope you hear from them!