Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: A bernina 930, an old one.

A bernina 930, an old one.

I was up at my local bernina dealer today and was shown a bernina 930 record that was being sold on consignment for about $375 -$475. It is showing a bit of wear on the paint on the free arm at the front and back and at the trap door for the bobbin. Not something that could not be repainted or ignored if one wasn't bothered by such. I sewed a bit on it and it seems to be in good working order, and the dealer is one I trust when he says it is in good mechanical shape. Other than the cosmetics, I am thinking of buying it, but I wonder if anybody has any thoughts. I have seen pristine ones going for almost a grand, but that is more than I want to spend on an old sewing machine.
    What say you?

John.
    Last edited by Fixedgearhead; 02-10-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Fixedgearhead
    Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time.

My Mom has had her #930 for years and gives it a good workout...I think it has another 20 years in it...
    The price doesn't seem bad...check her out...bring in a sandwiched scrappy and play before paying...
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

They routinely go for much more than that locally. What accessories and feet come with it? I agree you need to sew on it yourself, but it will probably go another 20 years with routine maintenance.

Pam

kso
    I bought mine in 1981 and I will never (willingly) part with it. It is a work horse.
    "God forbid that I should go to any heaven in which there are no horses" -- Robert Bontine Cunninghame-Graham, letter to Theodore Roosevelt, 1890

Banned
    I have a 1030 which I've been told is very similar
    It's been sewing like a dream since the late 80s - I love it.
    Your price seems good.

I did sew on it a bit, and it seems very tight and not sloppy at all. As I said, I do trust the dealer. He has been quite good to me over the years and has never tried to put one over on me. We are actually friends, so I guess that counts for something. It is on consignment so he doesn't stand to make a lot of money on the deal, and would be selling it to me for what he could get it for. I think he has just serviced it as it has a service tag still on it. I only talked to his son, as he was not there at the time and the sone said he would have his dad call me with all the particulars. I guess I will just have to wait and see what gives.
    John
    Fixedgearhead
    Making the world a better place,
    One stitch and one dovetail at a time.

If there are a lot of feet and accessories with it, it's well worth the price!

get it. My mom had one until she died and refused to buy a later model or different brand. she refused vehemently loving her machine best

I purchased my Bernina 1530 Inspiration in 1994 or 1996 and love it. I would buy that one just because of the price and the name Bernina, if it comes with the aaccessories that would be even more awesome. Good Luck. Teresa

Yes. A great mechanical machine is something to keep forever
    Long arm quilting in Carmel, Indiana http://quiltcycle.blogspot.com/

Just be aware that replacement parts are becoming very difficult to find......

Don't know the exact model that my Mom has but she bought it in 1960, sews all the time, clothes to curtains to quilts, and it's hasn't given her a lick of problem. So my new machine is a mechanical Bernina too

Power Poster
    If she's in good shape and you trust your dealer, I would buy her for a back-up machine. My Bernina feet cost about $50 so if she comes with a lot of those, it is a good buy.

I have a 930 (from the 80's, new then) and like one of the other posts would not possibly part with it unless it was stolen, then I would put out a reward and bounty for it. I just purchased a new 830 and I'm liking it, but my heart still belongs to the 930. By the way my 930 has never been in the shop for anything (used it till it wore me out)----I didn't even take it in for the (back then) free checkup/maintenance session----------------reckon they would honor that [email protected]@@!!!!??

Blog Entries
    My mother has an older model bernina 830 and I have the even older 730- they're great machines and workhorses. They go for more than what your dealer is asking all the time, just look at craigslist. I hope you enjoy if you decide to purchase it!
    Jill

It is a great old machine however I would ask the dealer about parts if something does go wrong. My understanding is that parts are not available for the older Berninas. I had heard that the factory in Switzerland had flooded and when they retooled they did not do the manufacturing machines (whatever they call them) for the older machines. The price is a good one but maybe not so much if it can't be repaired if necessary? Then again on the older machines there is not as much to go wrong

Blog Entries
    I wish I could find one. A friend (the original owner) has one and wouldn't replace it for anything!!!