Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina or Janome? >

Bernina or Janome?

Bernina or Janome?

Old 08-07-2015, 09:41 AM

The BSR is unique...I haven't found any machine in other brands that has a stitch regulator. I would buy this machine if I could afford it. I have 2 Brothers and a Bernina. If I could buy an after-market stitch regulator for the Bernina I would in a heartbeat. No problem here. Buy the BSR.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:46 AM

I have two Bernina 550's. One for each house, love them both and yes, they are expensive but also have a Pfaff QE, a small Janome, and a small Brother. If I had to choose only one it would be my Bernina.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

I can only comment on my Janome 4000, which obviously, from the number, I have had a number of years, and is still going strong and I hope it will for many more years. I don't know much about the new ones, but I also have an older Brother machine, which I got for free (great price) and seems to be a work horse, and is my "go to" machine when my Janome needs a checkup and servicing. Don't know if that helps or not, but that's my only experience.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:21 AM

I love my Janome 8900. I bought it after owning a Viking Designer 1 and a Pfaff. It has a bigger harp and seems happier to sew through some of the heavier materials compared to the D1 and the Pfaff, which actually balked at sewing through too many layers. The dealer I bought it from actually sewed through a 1/4" piece of leather, which I liked because I have to repair some of my DH's things which are also thick.

For classes, I have a FW and am considering one of the Janome Gems to use in a class if it requires fancier stitches than a straight stitch.

The price was also reasonable. I looked at Berninas at a dealer in town and while they are nice, they were pricier than what I could and would spend, and still didn't have things I wanted without having to pay for extra feet.

I did do research before I bought my Janome and tried it before I bought. I definitely recommend doing all your research and testing to see what feels best for you. It is also nice to have a dealer close by, if necessary. Also, ask if there is a floor model/demo available for sale. That will save you money. That's what I bought and the dealer even threw in some extras, like bobbins and a double thread holder.

Last edited by caspharm; 08-07-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:43 AM

I have both. My Bernina 1020 is over 20 years old and I just love it. I have it serviced every 1 1/2 years and have never had a problem. I purchased the Janome Gem because it was light (for workshops) and I did not have to take my Bernina out of the sewing table. There is no comparison. Everyone I know loves the little Gem, and, its OK for a day workshop but I don't love it as I do with my Bernina. Good luck!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:11 PM

I owned a used Bernina 170. Loved the stitch quality, and embroidery capability, used mainly for the alphabet. I couldn't get it to FMQ real easily, but didn't mind using my manual Bernina 931, which didn't need any adjusting to be able to FMQ. The 170 required a new motherboard, not once, but twice (not a cheap part). The part is no longer avail. Perhaps this was a lemon machine, but it soured me on dishing out that kind of money for an expensive machine with expensive problems. I just purchased a used Janome 12000. (I have an inexpensive Janome that has never had a problem, and a friend has a 6600p that she loves and has never had a problem). I like the fact that it's versatile, with quilting capabilities and embroidery. I haven't used it that much yet, but the FMQ was nice right out of the box and stitch quality is nice. I will be able to grow into this machine and don't think I'll be looking for another machine for years to come.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:49 PM

I just love reading everyone's comments.
I tried to quilt--just straight stitching with this older Bernina I have on loan--but I finally stopped. It's not taking all the layers evening and I don't dare spray baste with another's machine--so I'll just piece like crazy until I can get mine back. I'll test drive a Janome next week. ;-) The closest dealer is 75 min away; the owner and I have emailed.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:12 PM

I have 2 Berninas- older 1230 and 1100 (I think). Bought both gently used and have not sewed on anything that comes close. Guess it is what you get used to- I will always opt for the Berninas.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 PM

After using a low end Janome for a year and to make sure quilting would stick as a hobby, I started saving for an upgrade. I test drove the 6300, 6500, 7700 and 8200. The 8200 has improved features that the 7700 lacked. The main reason I want the 8200 is the harp space. Other machines sew well, but I lose "umph" to quilt in the face of anything larger than a wall hanging. I also want the thread cutter, multiple feet, and cheaper op font cost, accessory cost, and repair cost. I'm still saving up!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:14 PM

I tested the 8900 as well, but it's way more machine than I need for the price.