Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina or Janome? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-janome-t268442.html)

barnbum 08-06-2015 04:15 AM

Bernina or Janome?

I've done many search attempts and found one great post on Berninas--but can't find anything on Janomes.

My Babylock Quest is in the shop and I've lost trust in it, so am looking for a new machine. The Bernina has this BSR--stitch regulator that even works for free motion quilting and after what my BL has put me though over the years--that is looking like the biggest selling point to me.

In reading about Janomes--which I like the look of better--but that can't come into play ;-) I don't see anything about stitch regulators. Janome lovers care to comment?

Bernina owners love their machines and except for the 700 series, they seem to be amazing. Are Janomes as amazing? I need a machine that doesn't skip stitches or have tension issues.

Looking at Bernina 380, 530, or 550QE or Janome Memory Craft 6300P--the price difference is $100s, but if a Bernina really will keep quilting joyful--I'm willing to pay.

1rottendog 08-06-2015 04:27 AM

This won't really answer your question. I have the Bernina 440QE since 2008. Absolutely love it. Keep it serviced every year. Also have the Janome Gold, which is a smaller inexpensive machine so no comparison to the Memory Craft. Have had 3 Berninas and wouldn't trade them for anything but a new Bernina. Well worth the extra dollars IMHO.

Onebyone 08-06-2015 04:53 AM

I have the inexpensive Janome Jem Gold. It is a little workhorse, no problems at all and it is years old but it is no where close to the high end Janome. I have an older Bernina 1260 and it is still sewing like new. I am thinking of the 550QE also. But by the time I decide I need a new one there will be newer series. LOL

barnbum 08-06-2015 04:59 AM

Thanks--both good machines. The one feature that may make me lean Janome way is the bigger harp, or throat. I like space there. The Janomes have it--but to get it on a Bernina I'd have to spend $1000s more.

Nammie to 7 08-06-2015 05:06 AM

I own Bernina machines -- wouldn't go to another brand. I know Janome owners who feel the same way -- it all comes down to what YOU want and what YOU want to spend.

ClairVoyantQuilter 08-06-2015 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by barnbum (Post 7278523)

Bernina owners love their machines and except for the 700 series, they seem to be amazing. Are Janomes as amazing? I need a machine that doesn't skip stitches or have tension issues.

Looking at Bernina 380, 530, or 550QE or Janome Memory Craft 6300P--the price difference is $100s, but if a Bernina really will keep quilting joyful--I'm willing to pay.

I've had my 780 now, for over two years and since the update that resolved an issue with the newly designed bobbin assembly shortly after I purchased it, it sews like an absolute dream.

I've owned Berninas for over twenty years. They're truly a work horse.

Why not go visit both dealers for a test sew?

DonnaPBradshaw 08-06-2015 05:21 AM

I have a Janome with a big throat and wouldn't trade it in for a Bernina with a small throat! I love my Janome!

nabobw 08-06-2015 05:25 AM

I have had a Janome for years. I have the 8900 now and love it. When deciding to get it I did research and found people with problems with EVERY machine made.

barnbum 08-06-2015 05:57 AM

Thank you for all the good points to consider. I actually have a Bernina 210 on loan while they wrestle with my Baby Lock. I know it's an older model, but I'm not liking it so far. I'm sure the newer models are smoother. I'm not one to embrace change though. lol

quiltingeileen 08-06-2015 06:04 AM

I love my Janome 7700 Horizon! The added harp space is such a nice feature. Also, it came with many feet so there really is not any feet to buy separately, unless there is a specialty foot that is out of the normal sewing realm. My friend who has a Bernina said her machine did not come with all the feet Janome did and she ended up having to buy some feet separately. I would definitely go and test drive different machines and brands to see what feels best to you. Also, buying from a local shop is a good idea, since they will be close if you have questions etc. when you start using the machine at home. Good luck.