Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Bernina or Janome? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/bernina-janome-t268442.html)

imsewnso 08-06-2015 06:06 AM

IMHO you need to purchase a machine that has a dealer, near by, that you have a good relationship with. Machines will have problems from time to time. Hopefully nothing serious. My Bernina dealer is there for me. I own 2 Berninas and can count on my dealer to help me if I have problems or the machine has problems. In the past I have owned TOL machines and had NO support from the dealers (2 different dealers). Since I switched to Bernina I have had only success, both with my machines and my projects.
I have the large harp on my 830 and LOVE it. If you are going to do a lot of FMQ the large harp is wonderful.

luvstoquilt301 08-06-2015 06:06 AM

I chose a Janome 6600 after trying out many machines at a quilt show years ago. I wanted a big throat and this one fit in my budget. I love her and it was been quite a few years now. I also like that it has a built it even feed foot. I never felt the need for a stitch regulator. It was a good decision for me.

Nanax4 08-06-2015 06:35 AM

I bought a Babylock Cresecendo this spring, with 11" harp space. I just now got my latest project to where I could start quilting. I tell ya....that 11" harp space is to die for!!!! Makes quilting a twin quilt oh so much easier!

It came with a boatload of feet. And I really like the laser light, which at the time I thought was gimmicky.

Genden 08-06-2015 06:37 AM

I love my Bernina 380. However I don't quilt on it. The harp size is too small. I bought it to piece and machine applique. I needed a light weight machine I could move around and take for service myself. Make a list of the things you want your machine to do for you, then test the machines. I also echo the advice that it is best if you have reliable support for your machine close.

Gramie bj 08-06-2015 06:40 AM

I had a Bernini and loved it, used it to death, than a light weight inexpensive Janome. Still have it, works good. Now have a Janome memory craft love it. I did compare both a year ago, only difference was Bernini used larger bobbins, not cheep to replace all I had, and the BSR. It also cost $2000 more. The harp size, and stiches, were the same in both. I thought long and hard before going Janome. My FMQ is not the greatest, but with practice it is getting a lot better. Just was not worth the extra $$$ for me. I have a fantastic dealer.

Geri B 08-06-2015 06:52 AM

I will be watching here...I have a BL now that is my main go to, but I'm not really pleased with it and am thinking about a purchase in the near future I have an old Viking #1 plus that I just love and am thinking of going back..... For an updated model....I left on an impulse buy(BL).... Never again!

susie-susie-susie 08-06-2015 07:14 AM

I have a Janome 7700, and I love it. It uses any kind of thread and has a large harp. I used to have a 4800 Janome, not made anymore, so I didn't have too much to learn with the new machine. I have had the 7700 for about a year, and have not had any trouble with it. I can't comment on a Bernina since I have never sewn on one, but I don't think it would offer me anything that I don't have on my Janome. The shop where I bought it offers unlimited classes as long as you need them and repair service if you need it. A close repair service is worth a lot IMHO. Good luck on your search and buy what makes you happy. Oh, one other thing--when I bought the machine financing was free for 12 months (I think that was the length of time offered) and I have seen offers on other machines for longer periods of time. I think that is a good selling point. Ask about that when you make a decision if you are interested in that.
Sue

francie yuhas 08-06-2015 07:15 AM

Berninas are not in my budget. I like the smooth operation and large harp space of my Janome 8900.

gigi712 08-06-2015 07:46 AM

Love my Janome 6600!

willferg 08-06-2015 07:52 AM

The repair man/dealer I go to handles only Berninas and Janomes, so I figure both are good. I have had lower end Janomes and love them, but then I don't have the budget for a Bernina. I'd test drive models of both until you know in your heart which one is right for you.