Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina quilt frame >

Bernina quilt frame

Bernina quilt frame

Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 PM

Default Bernina quilt frame

I can pick up a 3-yr-old Bernina quilt frame for about $800 and am trying to decide whether that's the way I want to go with my quilting. Has anyone used one with a Bernina 750 or similar? How did it work? I think I have room for the frame, but am not sure I want to dedicate my 750 to it - and there's no way I could put it on and take it off regularly - too heavy!

Does that price seem good? I think they are about $2200 new. Oddly, my Bernina dealer got me onto this even though he doesn't stand to make anything from it (other than gratitude, which could be worth a lot in the long run)!

I've also thought about just setting up the overhead hanging system and continuing to work on my desk/table combination. Would be much cheaper!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

I have an older Bernina from the 90s and have not be always able to catch up on new things from Bernina. Is this Bernina frame one that is similar to John Flynn's set up?? I have seen that demo and wasn't that crazy on the set up.

WOW I just check this frame out. Looks really neat but you will be limited with the width of your throat.

http://www.bernina.com/en-US/Product...NA-Quilt-Frame

Last edited by ManiacQuilter2; 02-22-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:31 AM

You're right, MQ2! Also I would have to leave my machine up unless my DH was home to move it, because it's so heavy. I have other machines, but none that have auto thread cut or all the fancy stitches this one has. In addition, I think my son and his GF would have to sleep on the floor under it when they come to visit!

Maybe I'm not ready for something this big just yet!
Old 02-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Hi Margaret, can only a Bernina be used on this frame? Maybe you could mount one of your other machines on it. I have not seriously looked at the frame so I don't know.

It's funny, when you said your Bernina dealer I realized you and I have the same Bernina dealer!
Old 02-22-2015, 02:23 PM

I didn't have the Bernina frame but the grace and I used my Bernina machine. For me it was not practical to take my machine off every time I wanted to work on piecing. Because I worked, it took leaving the frame/machine up all the time since some days I only worked 15 mins on the quilt. If you have another machine you can use for piecing that may be your answer. The price and quality of the Bernina frame is a good deal.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:35 PM

I have the Bernina Frame. I was given it as a Christmas Present from my DH in 2008. They did go for over 2000 new, but he got a deal from our local Bernina dealer. I have quilted well over 50 quilts on it. I started with a Bernina 430 with the BSR, but was unhappy with the throat space. I looked at mid arm quilting only machine, but decided to get a 820 for it, as it was about the same price, only four inches difference in space, and when I do upgrade, I will still have a very nice machine. This is what I do. I quilt down my pile, and then I take down my 820 and sew on it and let my stack to be quilted pile up again, and then I put it back on the frame. I have my 440 and my 430 to do my piecing when the 820 is on the frame. I am very happy with the arrangement and feel I have enough space. If you do buy the frame private message me and I will help you with loading the quilt. Then instructions are great for setting it up, but they are wrong for loading a quilt. A man must have written them.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:56 PM

Hi, Linda, yes we do have the same dealer I'm still hesitating over the frame. Several of my friends suggested just saving for a good, used longarm so I have all the pieces designed to work together. One said she'd used the frame and had lots of trouble with it.

Thanks, Suzie, I will PM you if I buy it.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 AM

I have had a Bernina Quilt Frame since they were first introduced. At first I used my Bernina 440 on it with very limited quilting space so all my quilts were meander quilted. Christmas 2013 brought me a Bernina 710. Now my quilting area is much larger and I am starting to try other quilting designs. However, I wish I had a real long arm with a real hopping foot. I bought a ruler to make circles but the slot you would guide the hopping foot into to stitch the circle is too narrow for my Bernina feet. So it all depends on what you want to do with it. The 710 stitches like a dream though and I do like the larger quilting area.
If I were to do it again I think I might look at other frames first. I might like other methods used to attach your quilt to the frame other than velcro which isn't permanently attached to the rails. But I do like that the frame can be set up 6' or 12' so it's adaptable to small spaces. I have it set up at 12' since I mostly quilt bed size quilts on it.
If you do buy it, look up how to assemble it on YouTube. It will guide you through it step by step.
Also, before you buy check out the new Bernina long arm. If money isn't a problem, this might be just what you want.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:53 AM

I don't know about your machine but I have a regular size Janome and got the shorter version of the same frame; only does lap quilts/crib size. I was so excited. I brought it home and hooked up my machine and was so disappointed when I could only go a couple of inches at most before having to stop and rewind it. So disappointed that I haven't used it since. I really need to sell it or use it but don't like going on CL and having strange people calling and coming into my house so not sure about the selling part mainly due to having others with my phone number. It wasn't a good option for me with a regular machine because I don't like stopping constantly.