Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bernina Serger

Does anyone own one?

My mom and I looked at one last week and the Viking sergers. The Viking sergers looked a little complicated. We just want a simple easy to use serger. We have a White that Santa brought me when I was in third grade it is tired and gets sick often :cry: So we are taking that as a sign to buy a new one and I wondered what everyone here has and loves. THANKS!!!!!!!

I have a Bernina Serger -- and love it. It's not the lowest or the highest priced one, but it works well for me. Bought it last summer :)

I have a Brother serger that I bought in 1995, it does a good job, but the lower thread wants to come out of its arm too often. I just work on it awhile and fix it and keep on serging.

Blog Entries

I have a Viking Huskylock and like it. I would just be sure that you get one with differential feed and there are a lot of sergers out there now and I think if I were to buy another one I would shop around and not necessarily buy an expensive one like Viking or Bernina, just my $.02.

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina and I
    LOVE it...

Dreamer and sewjoyce - what model numbers do you have? I think we looked at the 700.

I completely agree that the differential feed is a must!!

I see that Janome has a ton of them on their website - anyone have one of their sergers. I love my regular machine that is a Janome.

THANKS!!!!!

Missi, my Bernina Serger is an 800DL.

Blog Entries
    Missi,
    Mine is older.
    I bought 3 of them for
    my business at the time.
    Great machines.

Bernina Bernette 334DS

Missi,

I am on my second Bernina serger. I purchased a cheap serger, some oriental brand when they first became popular. It was a piece of junk. I spent more time cussing at it than sewing. Then I purchased a Bernina. It was about the middle of their line. It had differental feed and a built in rolled hem. I used it for years. Just earlier this year I got the thread tangled up really bad and actually broke off one of the loopers. I took it to the shop for an estimate. I decided to trade it in on a newer model. Again not the top of the line but it does have functions that make the threading easier as well as differential feed and a built in rolled hem. It also has a needlethreader built in like most of the newer machines. I have one on my embroidery machine, also a Bernina, but I prefer to thread the needles myself. I got the Bernina 1150MDA for about $900 less the $150 they gave me for my trade in. They will repair it and sell it to someone else. I love the new one. I have always done piecing with my sergers.

I have an old Baby Lok. It's been used heavily since 1982, not so much in the last 4-5 years, since I began quilting. But it's only been serviced twice since '82, never had any problems with it. I'm sure you're thinking of a more modern one though.LOL

Blog Entries
    Now I'm really going to show my ignorance, but I am not a "sewer"..so, just what the heck does a serger do? I've seen them, but I don't have a clue what you use them for. :oops:

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    Now I'm really going to show my ignorance, but I am not a "sewer"..so, just what the heck does a serger do? I've seen them, but I don't have a clue what you use them for. :oops:
    SANDPAT, it cuts,sewsand binds.
    I have never forgot the feeling
    the first time I sat down with
    a serger 17 yrs. ago.
    I was so jazzed(over-excited)
    and still get that way today.
    Oneday you need to go where
    they sell sewing machines and
    ask for a demo. and make
    sure you try it to just for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPVkU...eature=related

the fun of it...............

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sandpat
    SANDPAT, it cuts,sewsand binds.
    I have never forgot the feeling
    the first time I sat down with
    a serger 17 yrs. ago.
    I was so jazzed(over-excited)
    and still get that way today.
    Oneday you need to go where
    they sell sewing machines and
    ask for a demo. and make
    sure you try it to just for

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPVkU...eature=related

the fun of it...............
    That is a great video. Now I'm ready to look into getting rid of my dinosaur (White) and look into one of those that have the automatic threader and the differential feed. I am having difficulty finding the threading tool for threading my lower looper. They are so fragile that I destroy them quickly. You know, it's the blue-handled one with the flimsy little triangular-shaped wire on the end. A real pain.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the video...I do see now. I'm scared to try to play with one at my Bernina dealer...I'd come home with one :oops:

I don't have a Bernina serger, I have one from Hancock. Juno by Janome 3434D. I like it just fine.