Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina >

Bernina

Bernina

Old 12-29-2012, 08:40 AM

Yes, be thankful for that thoughtful hubby. He chose wisely. I'm still satisfied using my Bernina 1130 which I purchased over 30 years ago. I never took lessons at the time and only about two years ago did I discover what free motion quilting could be done on this machine. As a matter of fact, last Christmas, as a back-up machine, I purchased a used Bernina 1230. For the money I spent on it, I could have purchased a new machine, but I felt very comfortble using my first Bernina.
Now when I go to a workshop, I tote my heavy machine in a wheeled tote and it works out fine for me.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM

Like any machine, there will be a learning curve, but it will be sew worth it!!!! I have to stop and think when I change from one of my machines to another! Take the classes and you will love it!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM

I felt the same when I got my Bernina 440 in 2005. I had been sewing for years on a 1974 Viking. I took classes from my dealer and after using the Bernina for awhile I took the classes again. Just take your time and the machine will become familiar to you. I love, love, love my Bernina. Still have the 1974 Viking but have not touched it in years.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 PM

Default Enjoy

Congratulations on having a wonderful machine. I have been sewing for as long as I can remember, and started using a computerized machine around 2000. I now own two Berninas, one was my mom's from 1978 and my Bernina 200/730. The support and quality of the machine are outstanding. I just looked at my newest machine as a means to keep my brain active and didn't expect to learn it all at once. I learned the bare bones basics and then explored the new features gradually as the classes came up or as I needed to learn the technique. I loved the stitch quality and found lots of support via other Bernina owners, Bernina dealership staff and classes, Bernina website videos and written lesson on the website. There are also all kinds of support groups on line. Sit back and enjoy, let the good times roll(sew).
Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM

.You are a very wise woman. In fact with Alzheimer's in my background maybe i should get a new machine every year...LOL!

...... I just looked at my newest machine as a means to keep my brain active and didn't expect to learn it all at once. I learned the bare bones basics and then explored the new features gradually as the classes came up or as I needed to learn the technique. I loved the stitch quality and found lots of support via other Bernina owners, Bernina dealership staff and classes, Bernina websites.......
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM

I had a Bernina 430 that I loved and traded it in for a Bernina 730 which I also love.
After your classes and some time using it you will love it too.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM

I have a Bernina also and I wouldn't take anything for it. It is great, dependable and so worth it's cost once you get used to it. Your husband obviously wants you to have the best so "shut-up, sit down and hold on for a great experience". I'd like to know what you think a year from now!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM

I've had my Bernina since 1995 and love it. Relax, take a deep breath, and take things slow and easy. It's always difficult for a while when you get a new machine. The classes will make a big difference too. You'll soon be enjoying your new gift.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM

I bought a Bernina 530 in 2008 and I have never liked mine. I have not been able to sew with it hardly at all. I wish I had bought another Kenmore-that one lasted 30 years-only put in shop 3 times. I have it in the shop now--going to pick it up next week-am hoping they can show me why I am having such a hard time with this machine. I simply regret ever buying it right now-maybe at some point in time I will learn to like it--I seriously doubt it though. And what is this malarky about having to service this sewing machine every year-whether you use it or not? If I had know this, I assure you I would never have bought it. I didn't have to service my kenmore like this--signed-not happy with my Bernina--
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
My husband bought me a Bernina 530 for Christmas. This was a gift that he bought without any hints or requests from me. In fact, it was the furtherest request on my Santa list. Now don't get me wrong, I am deeply grateful and excited, but am feeling alittle overwhelmed by it all. Have tried to thread it and use the auto thread and am even having trouble with that part. Even though I will be taking classes, I am afraid that he has given me a machine that will be difficult to use. I have been using a Viking that was bought in the 1970's. I quilt constantly and thoroughly enjoy the many steps. For those that have this machine or others in the Bernina family, how do you like it? What don't you like about it? I'm hoping that after taking classes, I can resume my enthusiasm but right now I totally feel overwhelmed/dumb/frustrated. Please, please, don't thinK I am ungrateful. I know that money is hard to come by so his generosity is deeply appreciated.

Congrats! Please check your PM.