Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernina vs. Janome...a new twist....

As I've said before, I LOVE my Bernina. That said, though, I think that one of the most important things to consider when buying is the dealer. If you have had a bad experience in the Bernina shop, general unease, whatever, then it's not the place for you. Remember, you won't be just buying the machine there. You want to be comfortable asking any and all questions you have, going to classes for machine features, and general tune-ups every now and again even if no repairs are needed.

The Bernina Aurora 430 and 440QE are regular sewing machines, unless you purchase the embroidery module. The 430 does not come with the BSR for FMQ (although you can purchase it later), the 440 QE does. I have had a 440QE since July and love it! It does whatever I ask of it. I personally have see the same model sew fur pelts together! I got mine used from a dealer at about 1/2 the price of a new machine (got the remaining 20 years on the warranty). It came with about 5 different feet. I never thought i would want to embroider, but I also went back 3 weeks later and got it and I am having a blast! Most dealers offer free classes for you to learn all that the machine can do. As far as classes, I take them at the Bernina dealer, but also am welcome at LQS's that deal with Viking, Janome and Brother.

I would say that you should buy the one that has the most features that you like. I would also consider the warranty and the trade-in value. I could go into the Bernina dealers today and pretty much get what I paid for it on trade-in. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I know how difficult it is to make a decision on a major purchase. I have two Berninas and love them. My first one was a QE153 quilting machine. There was an instant love for the walking foot. A few years later I decided I wanted a machine with a few more decorative stitches. I went back to my sewing machine shop and played around with the Bernina 440 (I think). It had lots of stitches that I wanted but then I saw the 640E that had decorative stitches in 9MM wide also and it had the embroidery module. I decided that if I was going to spend a bunch anyway, I should go ahead and get it all. I love the embroidery part also. So the message is, check out all the features that you like and then decide on the brand. I'm sure you won't go wrong with either machine. Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    you said you were looking for an embroidery machine. i am wildly in love with my Janome 6600p, but it doesn't do embroidery. there are some letters built in for monogramming, but no embroidery.

you sound to me as though you've already decided which machine you want. you are now trying to choose between the people who sell them. neither of them is coming home with you to be a part of your family and sew with you as the years roll on.

if the Bernina is the one that makes your heart go pitty-pat and you can afford it, then that's the one you should get. just make sure to tell the sales people they almost lost the sale and why. their next customer might benefit from your input.
    great advice.

Banned
    Thank you, so much, for all of your thoughts and input....I'm coming closer to a decision :) I hope to make the big purchase next weekend....

Definitely check out Pattern Review for ratings on sewing machines. They're great. http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/

I love my Janome. She hasn't let me down :-P

I dont have either my machine is a Viking and I like alot about it especially the large throat area. After reading maney posts on this subject it seems everyone likes different brands. So go with one that has all the features you want at the price your budget allows.
    One thing I really would like a Bernina for is the stitch regulator but they are the most expensive brand to buy.

I have two Janomes, one is the 6600, and the other is a 1600P on the NewJoy magic Quilting Frame.

The janome dealer I go to is family owned, and operated. When you call or stop by it's like being home. Whatever the need thay make the time for you, and if there is a problem they make it right. If you have to drop off your machine you will have it back the same day 99.9 % of the time, Dave knows how we go through withdrawals without our machines.

I love my dealer and my Janome's.

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.
    I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?

Maribeth, Me too, I have purchased several additional feet for my machine and no attachment or adapter needed. May be that that was the older machines or a generic foot.

wv

I have a Bernina and have never regretted it. I have the 1260 and keep up in quilting groups with all the ladies with the new Brothers and Janome. Employees at a store changes, and if you're like me, you'll relocated several times within the lifespan of the machine. I wouldn't suggest making a decision based on just the people in the store nearest you. I'd suggest going with the machine you're most comfortable with the feel and features.

There's a Janome ad in the newest Quilter's Newsletter that's saying they're coming out with a new model in April.

Banned
    Dang, Scissor Queen! :~) I thought I had my mind made up and now I hear this!!! What's a girl to do??? I researched it a little on the Janome website and sure enough, something is coming out in April but they're not saying what. I don't want to wait!!!! Hmmmmmm........... :) Thanks for the heads up~~it would have really stunk to have learned that AFTER the purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    Dang, Scissor Queen! :~) I thought I had my mind made up and now I hear this!!! What's a girl to do??? I researched it a little on the Janome website and sure enough, something is coming out in April but they're not saying what. I don't want to wait!!!! Hmmmmmm........... :) Thanks for the heads up~~it would have really stunk to have learned that AFTER the purchase!
    I know!! I've been planning on buying the 6600 this spring and now I think I'll wait until after the new model comes out. I may want the new model or the 6600 may drop in price.

Personally I think they're just torturing us!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    Quote Originally Posted by BKinCO
    I know!! I've been planning on buying the 6600 this spring and now I think I'll wait until after the new model comes out. I may want the new model or the 6600 may drop in price.

Personally I think they're just torturing us!!
    Yeah, I'm not sure what to think. I'm pretty much at the top of what I'm comfortable spending with the 6600 and it would be my luck to wait til April only to find out that it's something way more expensive.......and then I would have missed out on all that precious sewing time ;) Honestly, it was so stressful to even come to the decision of the 6600 that I'm fairly certain I'm going to just take the plunge next weekend. It's sort of like buying a computer! The second you buy it, it's obsolete :)

I have a Jacome 9000 it is a sewing machine & embroidery machine I also have a Viking Designer 1 It is both . You need to think about service & about learning how to use it properly. I wouldn't trade either one because they both do different things my Jacome does beautiful stitches, as my designer 1 I like the 1/4 foot on my Jacome better than designer 1. I never thought when I bought them that I would be doing the work that I do. Make sure you get classes... Happy sewing...

My sister has a Viking with the embroidery and she felt she was wearing out the expensive machine doing mostly quilting. She sews a lot as I do. She purchased the Janome 6600 to do her quilting. I have the 6500 because I bought it before the 6600 came out. We both love our machines. Love the speed AND the automatic thread cutter is to die for. Didn't know what I was missing until I had it.

Don't know much about the Bernina having never really sown on one except in a class once. Loved the machine in the class. I really decided on the Janome because of price and dealer availability.

Blog Entries
    i would go with the janome just my preference

Before 1973, I had other machines and was soooo frustrated. In 1972, a lady came to do a demo to my adult Home Economics group I belonged to at the time. As I watched her sew on that Bernina machine, I knew THAT was the machine to own! So, for Mother's Day in 1973, right after I had my first dughter, he bought me that Bernina 830! I ws so pleased and have been ever since! I now own 3 Bernina's and 2 Bernina sergers. They are so well made---is it possible to go to another store? I'm so sorry you have not been treated like a queen at that store--my dealer was Bernina Sew What in Beaumont, Texas and Glenda would take people on to raise!! She is also my best friend--we used to be next door neighbors-I do miss her but go back when I can!

I have owned both and love my Janome. Sold the Bernina to a Bernna lover. Janome for me!

Just a thought.........my Janome dealer offers 90 day replacement for full price of a machine if you want to trade up or are not happy with the machine....you could test drive the Janome and then trade for the new model in April! Check and see if you dealer offers this.
    Connie :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Maribeth
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    One thing to consider is that Bernina have special feet. If you want to purchase an open toe foot (for example), at your fabric shop, it won't fit on the Bernina unless you have a special attachment to attach to the foot itself. I sew on a Bernina at my job and know this to be true.
    I have purchased several feet for my Bernina including an open toe foot and the walking foot and never needed a special attachment. What special attachment are you talking about?
    Most feet attach to the machine at the pressure bar with a screw. Bernina have the foot and the bar all in one piece. So if you buy just a foot, you can't attach it to the bar by the screw, since there isn't a screw. You can purchase a special attachment that hooks onto the machine and also your foot, but it's pricey.

I do not have a Bernina embroidery machine, I have a 1230. I would go with the Janome because as you said they are they ones that have taken time to talk with you about the machine. I know what it is like to try to deal with a dealer who are rude. I took my 1230 in to be cleaned and fixed only to be told that it was old (85) and worn out, and would have to be sent back to the factory to see if it could be repaired, even then it could cost up to $1,000.00. I felt that they were really not interested in helping in any way. I called the dealer that I bought the machine from and got a name of a man , and took it over there and he has quoted me a price and has ordered parts for lest than half the amount first quoted. I have had several other occassions of when I went up to the Bernina place where I felt they didn't care weather I was there or not. You need to be able to communicate with the people you buy your machine from.

After more thought, I'd say you need to look at all the options you want to have and compare which machine has the ones you want to have and will use. Service: both location to where you live and the feel of the repair shop, do they also offer free classes, how quickly can you get your machine back after service, is the shop friendly or not, are they helpful and answer your questions. Make sure you can sit down and actually sew on the kind of fabric you'll be using, (not the starched fabric strips they seem to use at some shops to test the stitches). I'd bring fabric from home to "test stitch" on. Resale value in the future?, even if you aren't thinking you'll upgrade. Don't be distracted by "bells and whistles" you probably won't use.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast