Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Berninas are good, no?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyValentine View Post
    Someone from my quilt guild donated a White machine to me. I hand quilt and piece but I wanted to learn on a machine. This machine does not like me and I don't like it. One of my LQS is a bernina store and there's a machine I'd like to get for a couple hundred bucks. It's a very basic machine and they would teach me how to use it when I bought it. I just wanted to get an opinion on whether or not Bernina's are a good buy.
    No 1.... Local is good when they teach.....that's worth a lot! 2. I love Bernina's...I bought one in 1982....it's as good as the day I purchased it...Bernina is the only family owned sewing machine company left.... I personally met the President who flew into a local Bernina Dealer in the middle of nowhere from Switzerland....signed the foot petal of my old machine! 3. I have an old Singer, a brand new Bernina, an older Janome and a brand new Janome....love everyone of them....oh and a Babylock 10 needle....I don't put any company down...they all have good machines and they all have lemons..but a good local dealer that offers service is priceless....only read the first 3 posts.....here's wishing you the best on whatever you choose!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 1screech View Post
    Berninas are wonderful machines...be sure it is not a Bernette that is a horse of a different color. It is not as good as any Bernina.
    I think my Bernina Dealer said they had someone else build these particular machines and it did not work out for them...if I am wrong someone jump in and tell me! My cousin was looking at one and I called my dealer and asked about them...it's been a couple of years and I'm more forgetful everyday!
    "Seeking God's guidance is the key to success... even in daily living when we learn to LISTEN!"

I have a Bernina I bought used, an Aurora 430. I do love it, but it is what I have been sewing on. My guess is that I would love whatever I was sewing on! I do wish the harp space was larger, but it is a great machine. See what is locally available so that you can have service and parts handy for your machine and make sure you like the dealer as well.

I have a couple of Berninas and I can't say enough about them! I love mine and would trade any of them for the world.
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

I have been reading the comments on this post, and I agree, I try not to "trash" another brand. Everyone has a reason why they love their machine. So why am I sold on a Berniana? I have been sewing since I was 8 years old for 4-H. I had sewn on many different brands even my mom's top of the line Singer, as she was a singer die-hard. Every last machine I would have to fight with to sew, it was always something, the tension, the bobbin, always something. It was work to just keep the machine happy. I started sewing on my Bernina 930 and I was in heaven. Not a cough, or sneeze from the machine, if there was a problem, it was my fault and I knew exactly what it was. I made the comment to my mom shortly after my purchase, that sewing on her machine after sewing on my Bernina was like going from a Cadillac to a toyota, boy was she mad, but 6 months later she bought a Bernina 930 and was sold on them. As it has been said before, "Nothing sews like a Bernina". If it is truely a Bernina at that price, buy it, you can not go wrong. If you don't buy it but want a new machine, try different machines out, make a list of the features you want and what is you price range. Shopping for a machine is like shopping for anything else, don't be trying on, test driving, or trying out something you can't afford, only try out the ones you can afford, or you wont be happy with anything.

I had a bernina activa 145, and it was a work horse, never a stitch of trouble, easy to use, no tension issues, then I took it to have regular maintenance done, and when I got it back it was ruined,. I didn't say anything to the shop and went to another bernina dealer and purchased the Bernina 830 LE, and it is just awesome, only thing it doesn't have the same bobbins as the regular bernina's, so went back and purchased Bernina 550 which is a quilting edition, and I just love it, nice to take on retreats and classes, not as large as the 830 nor as heavy - I certainly would recommend
    Bernina to anyone that is looking to purchase a new machine. They may be a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. Berninas come in a variety of prices, the most is not necessarily the one for you - try them all out and find your comfort level. Best of Luck.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I've owned 3...no regrets...wish I could upgrade, but way out of my price range now. I would suggest a Bernina to anyone and to buy all the Bernina they could aford or save to aford.

Blog Entries
    I hate Bernetta's. I sold the one I had. I was so glad to get rid of it. I love my older Bernina. It is 18 years old and still works great.
    Last edited by fayzer; 04-24-2013 at 07:20 PM.

Power Poster
    I have a Bernina 185 ...A pricey machine at the time bought in 2005 but well worth the investment....A great sewer and not a day of problem...If you buy one look at it as an investment.....

Nothing sews like a Bernina?? Oh paleeze....my old Pfaff 130 is one of the greatest simple, sews like a dream, one of the best straight and zigzag machines ever made, and the old Pfaffs were built like German tanks. I also have a little newer mechanical Pfaff 262 which I still use regularly. Pfaff came out with IDT in the 1970's, the built in walking foot always there for you on all models since. Bernina just finally came out with it on only their top of the line 830 embroidery machine for extra $$. Go figure! I also have a Viking Diamond Deluxe, top of line embroidery machine and love love love it. Sorry, not a Bernina fan.

Be wary of any new models produced by Bernina. I have a 6 week old 710 that has already been back for repairs and still does not sew a decent straight. A $3500 machine should be able to sew a simple straight stitch without a problem. I have ordered a tote ($140) just so I can take it in for servicing.There have been many many complaints about this new 700 series, and quite a few have been replaced. STAY AWAY!! My 530 was a fine machine, but they are ruining their reputation with these new ones. Join the Yahoo group for 700 machines to confirm all this.

The Bernina will last forever, the accessories may be expensive but again, they last forever and can be used on any Bernina model you want to purchase. AND the resale on these machines is wonderful. The shops all have free classes when you purchase the machines. Some of the unique features on any machine on not available on other brands due to the patents. I have owned Singers and Babylocks. I prefer the Bernina for the high quality and workmanship.

There seems to be a big difference in both quality and customer satisfaction between the Bernina's made in Switzerland and the newer ones now made in Asia. Just because it says "packed with Swiss engineering" doesn't mean it's Swiss made (aka constructed), just that the plans were developed in Switzerland. Sometimes older IS better.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    I have a Bernina 530-2 - purchased in 1962. It was and is a good machine.

Love Bernina! I bought a used 1090 10 years ago and she is wonderful...never a bit of trouble. Got a 440 QE and it is a work horse-had to replace a fan belt and mother board but mostly covered by warranty. Just got the 710 and so far I am very pleased. The only problem is that I decided to trade in the 1090 on the 710 and hated to see her go but the new baby is worth it. Yes, they are expensive but very well made and sew beautifully.

I currently own five Bernina's, most recently purchasing a 830 and looking to sell my 200e. I love Bernina's. If you stay with one line of machines, most extra attachments can be used with more than one machine.

I have a Bernina 440 QE, it hasn't been in the shop for 6 yrs! My older 1260, I don't remember last time I took it in....my daughter took it home this winter, she's using it nearly everyday. My motto is" if it ain't broken, don't fix it"....I've had to mess with the tension many times, but that's minor. Love my Berninas!

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    I have a Bernina 440 QE, it hasn't been in the shop for 6 yrs! My older 1260, I don't remember last time I took it in....my daughter took it home this winter, she's using it nearly everyday. My motto is" if it ain't broken, don't fix it"....I've had to mess with the tension many times, but that's minor. Love my Berninas!

Love mine, too! I have a 13 y.o. Activa 130 and a Virtuoso 150 QE that I bought on eBay. The QE has a few more bells and whistles, but my original is still my favorite.

Just got an email from my local dealer announcing a trade-in deal, plus a sale on the newer ones. I am so tempted, but it's a bit over my budget (although they offer free financing!). Yikes! I just need to stay away!

I have two Berninas, a 1030 and 1530 and I am happy with them both. The 1030 was in the shop once. I bought each of them when they were new. Buying sewing machines is like dealing with a car salesman. I bought BOTH at different times from different dealers but each at a quilt show. You have to shop around, do your homework and find the best price.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Bernina is the only sewing machine still made in Switzerland by a company that has been home owned for over 100 years. All other machines are made in Japan, Taiwan, China...so you be the judge.
    Michelle Guadarrama

That used to be true, but now most of them are made in a factory owned by Bernina in Taiwan. And their quality has slipped a lot in recent years. The latest new models are rife with problems that tech do not yet know how to fix. And this week at BU yet another new model was announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
    Bernina is the only sewing machine still made in Switzerland by a company that has been home owned for over 100 years. All other machines are made in Japan, Taiwan, China...so you be the judge.

I'd look on Ebay for a vintage Bernina, such as the Record 830. I've had two of these, went through 3 motors on the first one, and I'm still sewing on the second one although it's nearly 50 years old. All metal, all mechanical, big steel cams, and sews wonderfully. I wouldn't have any of the newer ones.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 19 Album of Blocks I Made for Others https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19825.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I've never had a Bernina so I can't really say yeh/nay about them, but I do agree with others that I think they're over priced and so are the accessories. If you decide to look at other machines such as the Brothers and Singers, I would advise you to pass over the Singers, unless it's an old Singer, the new ones are pieces of junk although someone may occasionally get a good one, in my opinion.

I love my bernina, I paid abt $1,000 for it 10 or 12 years ago, when I wanted to get serious about sewing, It was a big splurge gift to myself. It's workhorse. Keep it clean (I'm not very good at getting all the dust bunny"s out), so I try to take it to the dealer a couple of times a year for a good going over. A couple of hundred dollars sounds like a good deal. Yes accessories are expensive, but I find them to be well worth it, especially my walking foot.
    groovey

I agree Bernina is an fantastic machine. I have the aurora 430 with embroidery and love it!!! had it for 7 years also. I bought a used Viking serger 936 retails for $1400 paid $400 for it shipped off craigslist. I am a lucky lady! That machine is well built just a paint to thread but sews beautiful stitches. GUESS WHAT? I lost my serger foot pedal and now have to replace it, I am very upset about that!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4