Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Berninas are good, no?

I have a berninia and love it. Never heard of a used berninia for 200 are you sure it is a berninia?

Janome used to make some Kenmore machines but no longer. I just checked the Sears site and it looks like Sears doesn't sell any sewing machines at all, Kenmore or others. A conglomerate called SVP owns the name and mfg. facilities which make Singer, Viking and Pfaff. I highly doubt that they are made in the same factory, and even if they are they are made to different standards. Bernina contracts out the Bernette line. Last I heard they were made by Janome, but that could have changed by now. I just realized today that Sears does not sell any sewing machines. At least none came up when I searched the Sears website. It's a shame as Kenmore machines used to sew very well.

" When you buy from a dealer, you have the guarantee of service and advice.

Also, White machines are made by Husqvarrna; Kenmores are made by Janome; Bernettes are made by Bernina.[/QUOTE]

Blog Entries
    I've been lucky enough to own a 1230 for almost 20 years. It is a true work horse and I love it! I use a featherweight when I travel, but the Bernina is my home love!
    Debbie Dresser

Love my Bernina. Remember you pay for what you get!

i LOVE my Bernina. You pay a few dollars more in the beginning but it is worth it in the end. I have has my Bernina for close to 20 years and never had any problems with it . The only time it was in the shop was for general maintenance. One thing though . If it is truly a Bernina that is quite a buy . Be careful though . Make sure it runs weel before you but it. But if it is truly a Bernina grab it while you can . Good luch

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    People can be snobs about Berninas. Not the people who own them - the people who don't own them are the snobs about Berninas. I own one but I am afraid to say I own one because people look down their noses at Berninas. I don't know why except that they cost more than other machines. Mine is a high end machine and I love her. I also have two Vikings and a Singer 401 Slant O Matic and love them also but much prefer my Bernina over any of my other sewing machines.

My Bernina has all the bells and whistles and runs like a dream now that I learned which needle to use with which thread.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I had a Viking D1 (I didn't need the embroidery unit) and traded it for a Pfaff, which also handled more different types of fabric than the D1 and still has some fancy stitches and an alphabet.

My main sewing machine is my 1952 Featherweight. My only caution is check where the machine is made. As stated by others, many of the lower end machines from most of the companies are now made in China and seem to have issues. That also goes for the reintroduced Singer Featherweight.

Definitely try to test drive any machine under consideration. If you just want one for piecing, with careful shopping, you can find a Featherweight for around $300, depending on condition. Ebay is one place to look for older machines and check the sellers feedback. Do research to see what are good prices.

I have 2 Bernina's and they are top of the line as far as I am concerned. They are pricey but they last forever and if you buy from a reputable dealer they will keep it running smoothly and teach classes on how to use it. I have had other machines Baby Lock, Singer, Kenmore but a Bernina is the one I would buy again. I do love my Featherweights too and take them to classes because of the weight.

I have two Berninas: a 130 and a 153. Both are "primitive" by today's standards, both cost a fortune (at the time), and both continue to serve me well no matter what I throw at them. Bernina feet ARE expensive but, like these older machines, they last forever and can migrate from one machine to another and they extend the range of your capabilities immensely. I've chosen to keep my original machines and "upgrade" their capabilities by purchasing a new foot or two every year when I want to try some new technique etc. The only exception was that when I wanted to get into needle felting, I purchased a Babyloc Embellisher for not much more than the Bernina felting attachment would have cost. I'm not really tempted (yet) by the newer, fancier machines even though a larger throat and having more stitches would be nice.

One other thing to remember -- when you have the "right" machine, it will almost become an extension of your body -- you are so familiar with it and so confident that it will do what it should do, that the project becomes the focus and you almost forget the machine is there doing the "work"!

I have two Berninas: a 130 and a 153. Both are "primitive" by today's standards, both cost a fortune (at the time), and both continue to serve me well no matter what I throw at them. Bernina feet ARE expensive but, like these older machines, they last forever and can migrate from one machine to another and they extend the range of your capabilities immensely. I've chosen to keep my original machines and "upgrade" their capabilities by purchasing a new foot or two every year when I want to try some new technique etc. The only exception was that when I wanted to get into needle felting, I purchased a Babyloc Embellisher for not much more than the Bernina felting attachment would have cost. I'm not really tempted (yet) by the newer, fancier machines even though a larger throat and having more stitches would be nice.

One other thing to remember -- when you have the "right" machine, it will almost become an extension of your body -- you are so familiar with it and so confident that it will do what it should do, that the project becomes the focus and you almost forget the machine is there doing the "work"!

I have had a Bernina (Model #1090) for 17 years. I have never, ever had one minutes problem with it. Yes, they are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Love mine!
    Debby...Momm to Bogie, Phredd (ATB 10/1/12), Bobb (ATB 12/10/12) & Bogie (ATB 11/17/16)

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...9EEF7B0639.png

Blog Entries
    I still use my old Bernina 830 Record (from around 1972) - Have made many quilts on this wonderful machine. Next I bought a used Bernina Artista 165 on ebay and I love that one. Next came the Bernina 1230 which is awesome (also used, on ebay.) I have a newer Babylock and it is a good machine but doesn't hold a candle to any of the Berninas!! All 4 machines have their own tables and are always "set up, ready to go." Each one seems to have developed its own special area of expertise!!

My besty works for a Bernina dealer. She says Berninas are in the shop more than every other brand out there and they are expensive to fix. Kinda like a Volkswagon.
    Laura

I think what brand of sewing machine you think is best is determined by each individual. we all like different things. I have owned a bernina, a viking , a kenmore ect. right now I have two brothers one is an embroidery machine -sewing machine and two pfaffs. I would not trade my pfaffs for any of the above. I think the best way to determine what you want is to try it out. two hundred dollars is a very good price for a bernina and if you try it out and you like it then I would say go ahead and buy it. if you decide later to make a larger investment go from place to place and try each machine out. that is what I did and was very surprised at the difference between machines.
    http://ncfabricjunkie.blogspot.com

I have a Bernina 1080 and love it! I got it new in 1995.

Bernina is a good machine! I have a combo. Mine is a 640.
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

i have had my bernina 1260 for 17 years and i have sewn for a living on this machine... never even took it in to be cleaned ... i clean and oil it myself, but a few months ago i decided to have cleaned at my bernina dealer while taking a class and the man said he has never seen a 17 year old machine in such good condition...it dident need a thing done to it and it has never given me an ounce of trouble...my bernina is my baby lol i would never buy anything else.....

Blog Entries
    I sold Bernina sewing machines for several years. I love my machine. You will have access and support of a dealer if needed. Good choice.

I have a Bernina 1130 It sews great came with lots of feet. I got it at goodwill it said does not work all that was wrong was the foot pad and my son fixed the broken wire so for $9.98 I have a great machine

Blog Entries
    Bernina users are a very loyal bunch. If the machine likes you and you like the machine, then from all accounts, you can't go wrong with it.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

My first Bernina was a 730 record that I bought back in May of 1968. I wore the thing out & replaced it a few years ago with Bernina's 1008, Love my Bernina's. Even my serger is by Bernina.

I also have a Bernina and love it. I bought it about 6 months after I started quilting when I realized this was something I would pursue. It was a demo, so I got a good price. I say if the LQS is close to you and you can go to them for guidance/instruction, that is a huge benefit. Check to see if they have any demos for sale.

Blog Entries
    I have three Berninas, one over 20 yrs old and I love all three. I do agree, you do not want a Bernette. The are not made by Bernina. I wonder if your dealer has a used Bernina?

Berninas are wonderful machines...be sure it is not a Bernette that is a horse of a different color. It is not as good as any Bernina.

The Bernette is total junk. The high price Bernia r really good. They have tons of neat feet. But they r really expensive. My choice would be a Janome. They have the best manuals.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast