Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best All Purpose Table >

Best All Purpose Table

Best All Purpose Table

Old 10-05-2012, 03:12 PM

I do all my cutting on the kitchen island, just the right height for me, the bit of walking that I have to do is good for me
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by morelcabin View Post
My dream if I had more room, would be a two tier table, one side at about a 25"-27" height for my sewing machine, and one part waist high as a cutting table, with a flip up side or back on the sewing part for when I quilt so it can hold my quilt without me having to tug it up from the floor all the time
Good Morning: Check JoAnn's. I got the Sew Essentials Quilters Design Table, #1848746. I love it. It is not oak or walnut or anything, but it fulfills what I need. It is about 47" long, 30" or so deep. (That's Open), It folds down to 15" deep. There is an area for your sewing machine, a small drawer, a cupboard that has two shelves and another shelf in the knee hole. I got it for $100 and something with the coupon. I have had it for over two years now. When I close it up, I put the sewing machine on the floor, shut the door, put the brakes on the wheels and I can put a cloth over the top and no one would ever know that I have my whole sewing room (not counting stash) in this little area. You can google Sew Essentials Quilters Design Table. Pops right up! The only thing I don't like is the edges of where the sewing machine goes. Sharp edges. Miss Bess likes to sit by me and will lift her head up and ZAPPO, she gets a conk on the noggin! Big dog! I have a very small area to work in, but I have worked out a little sewing station for me here with a little table and the ironing board (which has to be taken down when not in use - or I can use my Cut 'n Press on my little table when I iron seams. Big ironing board for ironing rows. Works. We are so adaptable. Good luck! Edie
Edie
Old 10-06-2012, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings View Post
I did the same thing only I use bed risers.
I did the same thing, that way I could fold it up when using...I have very little space.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 AM

There is a neat 2 x 4 ft table with adjustable heights that folds in half for storage. I have two that I use by my sewing machine for quilting large quilts. Four of these tables would make an awesome large work table at convenient heights. They are at Sam's club for $36 each. Otherwise, in my garage workshop I have two sawhorses set up with scrap doors on them to raise my workspace to a comfortable height. On top of all of this I have a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood and use this for basting my extra large quilts. Works super. I use both systems.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 PM

I remedied that by buying a set of bed risers to put under the legs of a banquet table. Taller when I need it for cutting, etc. and remove them to use as a regular table again.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 AM

I bought an IKEA table that I really like for my cutting area. We cut 4 inches off the legs and added big casters. The drawers are very large.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/14631607/
The only bad thing is you have to put it together, and the top was very rough, so I had to varnish and sand it about 4 times.