Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best All Purpose Table >

Best All Purpose Table

Best All Purpose Table

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM

Default Best All Purpose Table

I want to buy(or have my husband make) the best table for cutting and sewing. I don't have a lot of room but I do have a very handy man. So I was thinking I would ask y'alls advice....What you like and just as importantly what you would change.....Please let me know what ya think.....Thanks, Renee
Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I would love to have a waist high table for cutting and on the back of it have it have shelves, kind of like a hutch. Then I'd love to have shelves below it with door on it so I could close them in case it's messy. I would like a section the same height that I could make an ironing board and lay it next to the cutting table, so I could have it all right there. I would like to have those saucer screws on the side of the table to hang my rulers or scissors and have some up above on the shelves, also. I would want an all in one table. It would be nice to have a place to put my sewing machine, but I already have a sewing table, but if you don't, have him add a sewing table at the end. Make it a U shape, so you can do everything right there. You can get a lot done with everything at your fingertips. I've dreamed of having a table like this. You don't have to get up and go across the room to cut or iron or sew...it would be perfect! You could really book and get a lot done in a hurry.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM

I think I've posted this before, so sorry if you've already read this. I bought an inexpensive table at Lowe's that is 2 feet by 4 feet. Then my DH bought plastic pipe just the right width to go over the table legs. He cut these on an angel so they slide up the legs to raise the table about 7 inches - making it the right height for me for cutting. I can easily remove the legs when I want to table at the normal height. I think I would want something a little more stable for my sewing machine, but it makes such a great extra table.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM

I have a counter about 3 inches taller than a kitchen counter, X 30 inches deep X 20 feet long, the full length of my sewing area. I have a padded board for ironing, and room for my cutting matt. Works great for ironing and folding yardage to put on my boards. My sewing tables was made by my DH just the right heigth for me to sit comphy with my feet flat, back straight, lots if extra room behind the machine (3 foot) and anothe 3 foot to the left of the needle. What would I change? a 3 foot section added to the left side of my chair where I could place my quilt while FMG. I'm lucky to have a large craft room. A friend used two bottom kitchen cabnets fastened back to back, counter top on all. At one end her DH made an extencion that is lower for her machine to sit on (like a droped bar in a kitchen) this is one solid unit and sits on locking casters. no movement when she sews or cuts, lots of drawers and storage under. Just unlock casters with a toe tap and roll out of the way.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 PM

I have done the Lifetime table with the PVC pipe to elevate it. It was OK.

Finally I found a wheeled folding kitchen island. It has 2 shelves where I put my baskets of projects. I used tp fold it up, and bag [for cleanliness sake] the contents of the shelves, and store all in the garage if I'm having a large party. Now I have a folding screen over the area into my studio and I just roll all into the studio. I took off the 2 French doors into the studio so I feel like I have a much larger space to use.

If I had more space I'd get some IKEA cabinets and have them put together for a storage and cutting area. Maybe one day???

ali
Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Patti25314 View Post
I think I've posted this before, so sorry if you've already read this. I bought an inexpensive table at Lowe's that is 2 feet by 4 feet. Then my DH bought plastic pipe just the right width to go over the table legs. He cut these on an angel so they slide up the legs to raise the table about 7 inches - making it the right height for me for cutting. I can easily remove the legs when I want to table at the normal height. I think I would want something a little more stable for my sewing machine, but it makes such a great extra table.
I did the same thing only I use bed risers.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:15 AM

I use my old dinning room table. My husband raised it for me and put a shelve under it.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:27 AM

My husband made me a cutting - all purpose table. He used 2 2x4s for legs. It is 5x6 feet and a counter height. The top is made from cabinet grade plywood which is not finished. This was my request because cutting mars and yardage stick move less on unfinished surface. I marked one side so I can quickly measure my yardage. The corners and edges are slightly rounded so there are no snags. About 6 to 8" off the ground is a shelf on which I keep my batting roll and several boxes with batting remnants as well as waist basket. I LOVE it. It is positioned so that I can move around three sides. On the top I have my cutting mat, a bowl in which I keep my cutters and a shoe box of fabrics I am working on right now. Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:48 AM

A folding ping pong table is ideal for everything but sewing on even better if you can only get one side to fold up so that less space is needed. You can cut, stack projects, use it as a design table and if you are a spray baster it is great. To spray baste I used big 6 inch clips to hold the fabric and just tape a bit on one end.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM

I have old metal table desks for my sewing machine and whatnot but for cutting I have Ikea Vika Artur trestle legs and a basic Ikea table top. I got it for $100 - the Vika Artur trestle legs are height adjustable from 28" to 36" tall! It's sweet. Love love love my cutting table. It is the sturdiest table I found and I wanted super sturdy for using a rotary cutter