Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best Batting for warmth? >

Best Batting for warmth?

Best Batting for warmth?

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 PM

How about flannel for the backing? I presume the quilt is cotton, but my guild friends say you can mix cotton and flannel... Haven't done that yet, but maybe someone else on the board can clarify this for us. Good luck!
I made a quilt for our youngest daughter, tied it rather, and used high-loft batting. She said I was really warm, and they al loved that quilt. It was pretty; I just didn't like it. Mariah
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM

I am using Quilter's Dream wool batting a quilt I am doing now and am not having any reactions to it. If fact, despite being told that I am allergic to wool, I have found that if the wool is processed so that it is relatively soft and smooth I have no issues.

I think that my allergy is more of a textural sensitivity than a true allergy. I know some people are allergic to lanolin, but it appears that most wool these days has been processed in such a manner that there is little lanolin left in the fibers.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Wellll, I picked up two thin quilts from Goodwill the other day; $6 each. Both had one piece top, no blocks but the pattern of the fabric was a quilt design. The backs are so ugly they are gorgeous and in no way come even close to coordinating with the front. Same for the bindings. Both are handquilted, and rather nicely. Six people in the house called dibs on them.....and only two! One went to daughter as a bedspread; it was vintage enough to go with her vintage room. The second one goes to the college guy even though it is flowers because it is his school colors and he thinks it will be a chick magnet. So, the daughter was sleeping with a crocheted blanket, a sleeping bag, and a fleece blanket (very cold in her room)> Since the takeover of quilt #1 that is the only cover she needs! I was amazed. Son did not believe and tried his out instead of waiting to get back up at school. Yep, same warmth! These things are so light weight, how could this be? Of course I picked open to see...........flannel. Just flannel with a cotton front and a cotton back; not an over abundance of quilting but not minimal, either. Flannel?
Old 12-20-2013, 07:15 AM

I turn the heat off at night in our house and we use cotton batting quilt and a wool quilt on our bed. The wool was very nice to work with and washed up super. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:10 PM

I'll second the suggestion of getting her a mattress pad. I've been using one for years. We have a wood stove in the living room that heats the living room and kitchen, but the rest of the house is pretty much closed off for the winter. There's about a foot high space between the hallway and unused bedroom door where air from the heated section of the house gets into the bedroom. I haven't been cold yet. It was -18F the night before last. The one I have has three different areas for temperature settings, so I can have the foot part of the bed pretty warm, the middle lukewarm and the top just enough to get rid of the chill of the sheets.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:15 PM

I live in the cold...and in the summer I use my quilt Warm and natural and in the winter I use two warm and natural quilts and no other blanket and we are warm and cozy!! I also have a wool batting and it is warm but sometimes too warm.
Originally Posted by orangeroom View Post
I'm making a quilt for our oldest dd. She's usually cold. I usually use 100% cotton, warm and natural. That makes for a thin quilt. I have NOT washed any of the fabric for the top or bottom. What is the warmest batting to ensure this quilt is used for warmth and not just used during the summer months? Current temperature outside is 13*. We live in NY state.