Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best color for cutting mat >

Best color for cutting mat

Best color for cutting mat

Old 09-07-2021, 09:17 AM

I could see on the teal Olfa mat pretty well, except for similar colors and black. I now use the Martelli, and flip the mat to purple when cutting mostly light fabrics, and to the yellow for cutting darker. The main concern for me in a mat is the finish. I like something that is a bit grippy, which the Olfa and Martelli are, but I found the Quilter's Select to be too slippery for me.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
Ever since I bought my Quilters Select mat I don't want to use anything else.

Same with me. I have all the sizes of QS mats.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:08 AM

I have the standard green Olfa and can only use the back. I use rulers for measuring and the lines on the mat and the lines on the ruler together are too much for my brain. I want my mat plain - no lines.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't notice the lines on the mat at all. I use the ruler. My blades last longer using the Quilter's Select mat.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't notice the lines on the mat at all. I use the ruler. My blades last longer using the Quilter's Select mat.
Now that you mention it- mine last longer too!
Old 09-07-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

I use one I get at Walmart. I don't cut by the lines on the mat. I go by the lines on the ruler. I think it is more accurate.
Old 09-07-2021, 07:28 PM

I have a few green with yellow lines Olfa mats and one large white with black lines. I only use the lines to lay my fabric out straight and I used my ruler to measure. I really don't have a preference about the color.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:10 AM

Thanks for all the feedback, I should have clarified that I don’t use my mat for measuring but I do like to be able to see the lines when cutting fabric from the bolt, and lining up for subcutting using my slotted rulers, and the yellow and the grey don’t work for me. I ordered new ones and I hope I like them better. I too have a Quilters Select cutting mat and all their rulers, they are my favorite rulers and mats, but the mats are currently out of stock and have been for some time. I have a huge cutting table and I have 4 cutting mats held down with double sided tape, these are the ones I am replacing.
Old 09-08-2021, 06:19 AM

I have a large cutting mat that covers my cutting table, it's white with dr. blue lines. I really like it for dark fabric. If I am cutting white or light colors, I get my green with white line out and put on top of the other mat. Works for me. On my turn table, I had a pink mat, just didn't work out, so now I have a green one.
Old 09-08-2021, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Quilter's Select mats have a thin layer of memory foam inside. They are almost slick to the touch. I have had my big one for about ten years and it still looks and feels like new. I usually have QS mat on top for small cuttings. I use the Martelli Roundabout for rotating. When that mat gets too used I will cut a QS mat to fit the roundtable. but the Martelli mat is holding up just fine. I haven't tried the Creative Grids mat yet. I may buy a small one and see how I like it.