Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best machine for blanket stitch + embroidery >

Best machine for blanket stitch + embroidery

Best machine for blanket stitch + embroidery

Old 06-16-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Best machine for blanket stitch + embroidery

I have been frustrated with the several machines I've used recently for making a nice, reliable, non-puckered, tiny blanket stitch for machine applique. I've used a Memory Craft 9000, an Innov-is 1000 and a Janome Jem Platinum. The little Jem seemed to do the best, but I'm searching for a combo embroidery sewing machine that will do a mean, effortless, tiny embroidery blanket stitch so I don't have to swap machines with every project. FYI the Innov-is 1000 wasn't a tiny enough stitch and not adjustable to make it small enough for me and the MC 9000 is just old and has feed issues. I really don't want to spend more than $1000 so I know a used machine is probably going to be my best bet. I am not interested in spending a dime on a high end machine that won't do a tiny reliable blanket stitch. Recommendations? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:25 AM

alas, I am probably of no help. I love making the blanket stitch on my Bernina's. I have had the mid range ones and now have a 590 which can also do embroidery which I haven't tried yet. But what I like about the blanket stitch on the Bernina is that I can adjust both the width and the length with a simple turn of the knobs by very small amounts. And I can also mirror image the blanket stitch easily. Also my Bernina has a knee lifter, meaning with just a press of my knee on the lever, I can raise or lower my pressor foot leaving both hands free to guide the fabric. There are I believe some models of Bernina that cost less then mine but are still over $1000. You would probably want one that has the knobs that adjust the width and length as that features gives the most adjustability to those stitches. Good Luck. Oh, I also was able to do a fairly decent blanket stitch with my Viking D1 not made any more. But I just bought a Viking Topaz 40 which has many of the features of the D1 and that was less than $2000
Old 06-16-2021, 09:58 AM

I am soooo pleased with the tiny blanket stitch on my Brother ULTs and my BL a Ellageo...tho my machines are old, they still let me touch screen to create the exact stitch I want. Usually it is 2-3 stitches along the edge of the applique ( very small stitches) before it takes a small bite into the fabric. Both stitch and bite are adjustable. I love sewing on my ULTs, and even tho they do embroidery, I have dedicated the BL for that. You are wise to get demos before buying machine, especially if a certain stitch is important to you.
Old 06-16-2021, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
alas, I am probably of no help. I love making the blanket stitch on my Bernina's. I have had the mid range ones and now have a 590 which can also do embroidery which I haven't tried yet. But what I like about the blanket stitch on the Bernina is that I can adjust both the width and the length with a simple turn of the knobs by very small amounts. And I can also mirror image the blanket stitch easily. Also my Bernina has a knee lifter, meaning with just a press of my knee on the lever, I can raise or lower my pressor foot leaving both hands free to guide the fabric. There are I believe some models of Bernina that cost less then mine but are still over $1000. You would probably want one that has the knobs that adjust the width and length as that features gives the most adjustability to those stitches. Good Luck. Oh, I also was able to do a fairly decent blanket stitch with my Viking D1 not made any more. But I just bought a Viking Topaz 40 which has many of the features of the D1 and that was less than $2000
I also love my Bernina for the blanket stitch (and others). I have an older Artista 180. The new ones are very expensive but here you can pick up an 90's Artista for $500 - $700 so that might be an option for you.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:58 PM
Gay

Maybe you need to loosed the tensions a little, or try using paper (A4) behind, what you can't pull of can be washed out. This is what I do for some fabrics with any embroidery stitches.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:24 AM

Use water solvable (washaway) interfacing behind the piece you are blanket stitching. You'd be amazed how it helps!
Old 06-18-2021, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Use water solvable (washaway) interfacing behind the piece you are blanket stitching. You'd be amazed how it helps!
Yes I have done that before, that is only part of the issue, the other part is that the stitch is not consistent and not small.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:28 AM

I have a 'cheap' Brothers 350 embroidery machine bought at Walmart that does a great blanket stitch. I find it adjust to a small stitch with easy and with careful and steady hands it does a great job. This is one of the many machines I have here and this was great for this.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:00 AM

Thanks for the recommendations! I appreciate them!
Old 06-24-2021, 04:50 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied! I ended up getting a used Brother Innovis 6200d Disney edition with all attachments and the embroidery module, as well as the carrying cases and cover for the smoking hot price of $1000. Thanks again!