Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method to make a Storm at sea >

Best method to make a Storm at sea

Best method to make a Storm at sea

Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Here's one that I did .... It was totally PPd.
I made it smaller than the actual pattern, simply via % on the printer.
Ornamental Bliss ... using SAS blocks

For your concerns of removing the papers.
I use regular copy paper, and very tiny stitches (1.0 or even less).
For this one, I left all the papers on til it was fully assembled.
Because of the tiny stitches, I find they come off fairly easily.
... I just turn something mindless on the TV and pull them off, keeping a garbage can right beside me!

The easiest way to keep your sanity when developing your design and/or colour placement
is to use a colouring sheet. Thanks to FelineFanatic ... I've now saved that for future use.

Good Luck ... and enjoy the process!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:38 AM

QuiltE, I LOVE your wall hanging!!!
Thanks to FelineFanatic, I've put my daughter on the coloring job. She's on it for the last one hour LOL Now I'm wondering if she would not love to rip the papers...
Old 01-02-2019, 10:41 AM

Has anyone made one using the accuquilt dies?
Old 01-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by profannie View Post
QuiltE, I LOVE your wall hanging!!!
Thanks to FelineFanatic, I've put my daughter on the coloring job. She's on it for the last one hour LOL Now I'm wondering if she would not love to rip the papers...
Thank you ... while it is definitely Christmas fabrics, I purposely chose ones that were not in-your-face Christmas so that I could enjoy it for much longer. It'll stay up now til I switch it out with a Valentine's quilt.

Great plan ... have her do the design .... and take off the papers!!
No reason why she can't stitch the PPd blocks too!

There are so many SAS quilt layouts around .... that take on unique looks.
So many possibilities ... and so many more to create!

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:54 AM

I made a SAS and used the PP method. I found it so much easier to line up all the points. Regarding the paper in the back ... well, if you want a fast and easy way ... a bit messy (not too bad tho). Once you're done your quilt top sew a seam as close to the edge as you can. Put your quilt top with the paper on it in a mesh bag (very small holes in the mesh bag) and toss it in the washing machine. The paper will be gone! It's miraculous! And it's all held together in the mesh bag. I lay it flat to dry and then iron it. It's a bit more work having to iron it, but in my world, I would have left the paper on it LOL I adore my hobby, but pulling off that many tiny pieces? NOPE!!!
Old 01-02-2019, 10:59 AM

QuiltE, yes, I totally agree, this is more a winter time quilt. I doesn't feel at all like a Christmas tree sitting in a corner in January.
Although my daughter is very a very artistic and creative 9 years old kid, she doesn't have the slightest interest in sewing. I was the same until 35 years old, so I don't despair :-) My 7 old boy, on the contrary, have impressive sewing skills for his age.
She created an awesome diamond pattern with the coloring sheet. She have very clear ideas in her head when it come to colors.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I made a SAS and used the PP method. I found it so much easier to line up all the points. Regarding the paper in the back ... well, if you want a fast and easy way ... a bit messy (not too bad tho). Once you're done your quilt top sew a seam as close to the edge as you can. Put your quilt top with the paper on it in a mesh bag (very small holes in the mesh bag) and toss it in the washing machine. The paper will be gone! It's miraculous! And it's all held together in the mesh bag. I lay it flat to dry and then iron it. It's a bit more work having to iron it, but in my world, I would have left the paper on it LOL I adore my hobby, but pulling off that many tiny pieces? NOPE!!!
Marion, what paper are you using??? I guess it might affect the "solvability" of the paper. When you forget some piece of paper in a jean pocket, you sometimes find just a nice paper ball in a corner of the washing machine, and sometimes thousand of tiny shreds everywhere on the clothing.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Marion, what paper are you using??? I guess it might affect the "solvability" of the paper. When you forget some piece of paper in a jean pocket, you sometimes find just a nice paper ball in a corner of the washing machine, and sometimes thousand of tiny shreds everywhere on the clothing.
I just use normal paper. Easier to tear off, and easier to pick up round balls!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Power Poster

QuiltE, yes, I totally agree, this is more a winter time quilt. I doesn't feel at all like a Christmas tree sitting in a corner in January.
Although my daughter is very a very artistic and creative 9 years old kid, she doesn't have the slightest interest in sewing. I was the same until 35 years old, so I don't despair :-) My 7 old boy, on the contrary, have impressive sewing skills for his age.
She created an awesome diamond pattern with the coloring sheet. She have very clear ideas in her head when it come to colors.
ha! you had me laughing about the Christmas tree in a corner in January ... end of January!
Not here though, as mine will be down before the 12th day.

Great that you have a designer in the making!!!
And too, perhaps once you start stitching and she sees it starting to come to life with the PPd blocks, she'll want to do some of the stitching too.

That's the joy of PPing, two can sew and know the blocks/pieces will fit together.
And you can get some pretty impressive results, which may help her to fall in love and want to do more sewing after her quilt is made.

Maybe now, you need to turn your son loose, to create his very own design too?
Old 01-02-2019, 11:28 AM

I love this one!!!
Russet and gray top

Kirsten