Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best method to make a Storm at sea >

Best method to make a Storm at sea

Best method to make a Storm at sea

Old 01-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Default Best method to make a Storm at sea

After thinking for a while about the quilt model I should make for my daughter room, I have finally settled for a Storm at sea. I've always found this model absolutely gorgeous, but when I saw the rainbow Tula Pink version of it here, I knew it was the one my daughter should have:

I'm also due for a little technical challenge, so I feel excited to set this kind of goal for myself in 2019. However, I would like to complete the quilt within a reasonable amount of time, so I'm looking for any advice to help me in the process.

1) Pro and cons of paper piecing for this model? (I've done one twin size paper piecing quilt and loved the precision of the result, but found the ripping of the paper extremely tedious)
2) Is there any special technique, ruler or tool to help with the cutting and assembly process (I have an Accuquilt studio cutter)? In the free pattern provided on Tula Pink blog, there are instructions to cut the pieces with fraction (like 2 3/8 inches) I'm definitely the kind of girl who will get better results if she construct an oversize block and then re-cut it
3) Anyone ever done this model with scraps? How did you manage the organization of the colors?

Thank you so much in advance for sharing your expertise!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-02-2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: remove copyright pic
Old 01-02-2019, 07:01 AM
mkc

Deb Tucker's Studio 180 template, hands down. You need the Diamond Rects and Square2 tools.

https://www.sagercreekquilts.com/sho...a-x9851949.htm

If you're not familiar with Deb's tools, you make slightly larger sub-units and trim using the tools to get perfect blocks.

Michelle

Last edited by mkc; 01-02-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:05 AM

I paper pieced mine. I have Deb's rulers but didn't want to deal with the bias edges of the diamond without the stabilization of paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606127[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails fire-ice.jpg  
Old 01-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Indycat32, what a beautiful quilt!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:54 AM

I love the Storm at Sea quilt block. It is really just an Economy block, and a Diamond. I agree with mkc, Deb Tucker's rulers make it very easy. I can't compare to paper piecing as I have never used that technique. To me, the difficult part is color placement if you make multi-colored quilt. Best of luck!
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM

Thank ladies, I didn't know these rulers. Now of course they cost 40$ each in Canada (every quilting supply is X2 here). Sigh...
Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 AM

Deb Tucker ruler is wonderful - makes the block a bit smaller - I loved using the Creative Grids Storm at Sea ruler - this makes a beautiful 16 inch block... All you need is that one ruler.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I am also a Deb Tucker fan but I don't have the ones to make SAS. I think I would PP it. You mention doing a rainbow one so I would highly recommend downloading a diagram sheet and coloring in to help you with the color placement of the pieces. This blog has a free one you can download for both styles, single and double sashed.

http://quiltinspiration.blogspot.com...ree-block.html
Old 01-02-2019, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made a SAS, though it's on my very long list of quilts I would like to make. (Well that's not true - I did make a log cabin version of a SAS, but I would like to make a real one some day.) If you haven't tried vellum for paper piecing you might give that a shot. Using vellum and a short stitch length, I haven't found it at all difficult to remove the bits of paper.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
I paper pieced mine. I have Deb's rulers but didn't want to deal with the bias edges of the diamond without the stabilization of paper.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]606127[/ATTACH]
Love your quilt!! I love red and white quilts and yours is spectacular. I did a SAS and used Deb Tucker’s rulers. No problem at all. Love this pattern.