Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best paper for paper piecing? >

Best paper for paper piecing?

Best paper for paper piecing?

Old 08-14-2018, 02:31 AM

Golden Threads quilting paper is great - very thin and tears easily. You can buy rolls of it in three widths, and I would fully recommend it !
Old 08-14-2018, 02:58 AM

I like newsprint the best and find it easy to work with. If you have heavier paper or even copy paper, you can make paper removal easier by using a tracing wheel (old sewing gadget) to score the design before stitching it. I try to avoid using glue because I think it makes paper removal difficult. I use thin, flat head pins for accuracy.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:17 AM

I use the deli wrap papers, the kind theynwrap your to go sandwiches. You can buy them at Sam's Club nd probably Costo. Theyncome in a package of two and each one has at least 500 sheets. And it's easy to tear off
Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I think that's what mine are. Years ago my son worked at the bakery in Meier while he was in college and I would buy a bunch for a nominal fee.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
?????
I thought the Carol Doak paper was more of a vellum type???
It's newsprint. I took some to our local paper factory and they identified it for me. Believe me, they know their papers, all kinds of papers. They can tell you what the thickness/weight probably is just by looking at it. It's what they do. So then I bought a whole roll of newsprint from them---very cheap! less than a penny a page. From my experience it does seem identical to the Carol Doak paper I used first.

Last edited by JustAbitCrazy; 08-14-2018 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:44 AM

I get Crayola Doodle Pads from the dollar store - $1.00 for 60 sheets. They're 9x12 so they need to be cut down to fit the printer. My sister had Carol Doak's papers and then I suggested these. She didn't see any difference between the two.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 AM

I use lightweight sew-in interfacing and then I can leave it in/ Just have to trace pattern onto interfacing.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie View Post
Freezer paper for me! No need to sew through it and rip it off.
I tried to do it the way you do, but I can’t sew near the lines without hitting the paper. (Vision problems) I love that there are many ways for many people. ��
Old 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM

I bought reems of newspaper size to fit in my computer printer off the internet
Old 08-20-2018, 01:43 PM

I bought a ream of newsprint through Amazon when I was looking at getting started with paper piecing having checked out the alternatives available at that time. Since then I've found I really REALLY like parchment paper (baking type) I get at the dollar store. I have vision issues and it is much easier (even if it takes time) for me to draw out my quilting designs on the paper just sew through and tear off when I'm done. Also works for paper piecing but can be a bit floppy (which newsprint can be as well).

The parchment paper is a 12" x 25' roll, thin/transparent enough to easily trace a pattern. I haven't yet tried cutting it down and running it through my laser printer, I think using the sheet feed option it would be ok. Reasonably soft and flexible it holds up much better than tissue paper. Sometimes tissue paper is made with a plastic film on one side that doesn't tear as easily.